Polish ok to have in Washington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 15shenyl, Sep 18, 2012.

1. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I really want a polish hen, but I live in Washington, and polish are not a cold hardy bird. My question is will it be ok to have a polish here for the winter or no. Sometimes it gets down to 0 degrees, not in the last few years though, normally 10 to 20.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I live in Canada, and I over-wintered a polish hen no problem all winter. Our lows can get down to -40 with windchill. So yes, you can :)

3. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    Ok, good. Any other breeds can recommended that I should get. Ones that are fancy but are calm and do good in winter, and that won't be mean.

4. aoxa

How about silkies? Or Mottled Houdans? [​IMG] My mottled Houdan girl - Skittles. They are heavier bodied than polish, and do better in cold temperatures (though my polish did fine). [​IMG] Silkies. :D

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Nice Houdan! Do you have just the one or do you raise them?

As to the OP: not sure where you heard Polish weren't cold hardy but I know peope who raise them in Northern NY where it hits 30 below & they do fine there.

6. aoxa

I have 10. Some are very young, but I have a pair that are 6 months old, and the girl should start laying soon. :) My male has a little too much white in his crest, but they are very nice type otherwise. Skittles above won champion continental at the last show she attended. Next show she is going to is the end of the month. [​IMG] Here is another young female I have. She's 8 weeks old. I think she will have even better mottling than my above girl, as Skittles had a lot more white at this age! [​IMG] Here is Skittles at that age for comparison.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    She's a beautiful bird. Can't remember the last time I saw a Houdan of that quality. I am making the assumption that her size is ok.

8. aoxa

She's about the size of my big barred rock girls. She's much shorter to the ground than my polish. Very hefty :)

I really appreciate that Nyreds. I really love this breed and hope to help preserve it. They are a great dual purpose bird (or tri purpose - fancy, eggs, and meat).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by