((( Polish Pecked Head-BAD)))

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlovefever, Jul 22, 2011.

1. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    So I have a Polish Rooster, His name is Victor. I am so upset, as all of th other chickens just peck his head repeatedly, and just about all of his head feather are gone. he is all bald, and his head is scabbed up and swelling, and i am really sure it hurts him. He was supposed to be a how bird. HELP! What can I do other than confine him? His poor head.......SHould I put Duct Tape on it? I son't know, but i could really use some help here.

2. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    You have to keep him from the others unti he gets better. Then you need to figure out how you will handle adding him back to the flock.

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Yes, you'll need to separate them until his head heals. Otherwise it's just going to happen over and over again.

There is a product called Blue-Kote that's supposed to help with wounds and helps prevent pecking. It doesn't look very pretty but I know some BYC'ers have used it on their polish with the same problems.

4. Chicks4MyFamily

Chicks4MyFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Valley City, OH
    The same thing happened recently to my frizzle bantam polish roo. It was so terrible! I was heartbroken. I used some foam antiseptic wash (no burn kind for kids) let it dry then bought the spray neosporin (has a pain killer in it) and put it on twice a day for a week. I of course put him in a little cage with his best friend hen during healing. Now all his feathers are coming back in thank God and he is looking great. When he is healed and I try to put him in with the others I am thinking of dyeing his crest or getting bluekote to make it purple. I guess sometimes other chickens think that color is "rotten" and don't peck it??? I might try it to see if it works I dont ever want him to have to deal with that again. We are in the process of building a little banty coop so that might help also [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Get some Blu-kote definitely and spray the whole bare spot every day or so. My polish chick was pecked and bleeding when he was 3 weeks by the older chicks. The blu-kote helped so that I kept him with just his own group in the brooder. Then just when the feathers started to grow in 2 weeks later, and all chicks had been together in the big coop, another chick decided to pull out the new feathers. I separated him with a few buddies, and all feathers have grown in fully. He is 13 weeks and I will be reuniting the whole flock with the 15 weekers this weekend, and hopefully after a slow transition, they will all get along.

6. Dustin Clays

Dustin Clays New Egg

Jun 1, 2012
    MN
    My White crested polish chicken, Little George has a bunch of missing feathers in the back of his head what should I do? I think it was kind of asking for it.

7. growyourbrew

growyourbrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    I noticed that they do ask for it, esp when it's hot. They let the others peck the feathers they want off - I've seen different chickens allow their cheek feathers to be plucked (Auaracaunas), and the crested chickens allowing their head and neck feathers to get pecked off. When they think it's enough, they walk away. I had one hen that would allow most of her neck feathers get pecked off in summer but once fall rolled around, she'd be back to her full glory.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I use ichthamol. it's antiseptic, and smells awful. I take a brush and brush it on the topof the head everynight. Works great

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by