polish penguin?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nikki1496, Sep 9, 2016.

1. nikki1496

nikki1496 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    I recently aquired a white crested blue polish hen (shes 3) from a woman i dont think was taking very good care of her (she had curled toe nails) and shes walking like a penguin ive already checked for egg bounding and dont feel anything her pelvis feels really low though what other reasons would cause this?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might do some searching here at the top of this page for egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying. Googling those terms will also get some good information. These reproductive disorders are very common in chickens who are kept in backyard flocks for many years. Hatchery birds are very prone to them. Her nails may need to be trimmed due to her inactivity, not necessarily from neglect.

1 person likes this.
  3. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    they were 3-4 inches long when i trimmed them and i felt around earlier and didnt feel anything that felt eggy

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    ive been giving vitamins and she holds her tail up now but her body is still somewhat penguin ish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by