Polish people will laugh at this

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by michickenwrangler, Dec 19, 2010.

1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Michigan, first of all, especially eastern Michigan, has a very large Polish-American population. My mother asked me to get some Kiszka for her (Polish blood sausage) at the local meat market near where I live since they don't carry it down by her.

So I stop at the meat market and they are all sold out of kiszka. [​IMG] I asked the woman at the meat counter if they had any kiszka in the back. She said no, they were all out and the kiszka shipment isn't until Tuesday. So I called my mom and told her that the kiszka would come in on Tues and I'll pick it up Thursday on our way down for Xmas.

So, I just find it humorous that a store is completely OUT of Polish blood sausage, and not only that, the store employees know exactly when the kiszka will be restocked.

If I ask about phyllo at the grcocery store, people look at me like I've grown 2 heads. But the kiszka, the meat market people know exactly what day it will arrive.

I know this isn't very blatant humor but I thought other Polish-Americans would get a kick out of this.

BTW, the grocery store also runs out of creamed herring the day before Christmas Eve, so we always have to buy it ahead of time! [​IMG]

2. WhoopiePie

WhoopiePie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Queens, NY
    my family is not polish at all but my dad is very passionate about blood sausage as well! back home (Trinidad) it's a treat especially at christmastime, so my dad actually pre-ordered some a month back to make sure he had some for this christmas!

many, many years ago he tried to bring some back from Trinidad, but he didn't know it wasn't (still isn't?) legal and he had to watch them throw out a whole bunch from his bag.... you should've seen his face [​IMG]

3. PoultryParadise

PoultryParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Oh, I had a good fond chuckle over your story. I grew up in a Ukrainian/German populated part of the prairies and still have a hard time today living in a area without European/influenced stores to find things like pork hock including the foot without getting the "what are you gonna do with that?" comment. Just yesterday I asked a store clerk if they had any, and the lady asked me if I was nuts.
    My dad brought me some blood sausage a few days ago, oh the childhood memories.

4. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:DH is mostly German. When he first came to my father's for Christmas, I had to explain that we eat "weird" food at Christmas, kielbasa, ham, creamed herring, rye bread, cabbage, pierogi ...

He just looked at me and asked, "So what's the weird food?"

5. PoultryParadise

PoultryParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    I still can't get any guests to even try the creamed herring. Oh well, more for me.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The princess is Polish/Hungarian, and I am German/Scottish. Our children are true mutts-talk about hybrid vigor! Tomorrow we will take an hour plus drive to my wife's hometown to visit the European Provision store. Kielbasa, pierogies, stuffed cabbage, some bread I can't remember the name of and many more goodies will make their way home with us for Christmas celebration.

7. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    My dad gets a big jar of Ma Cohen's and we're always out of it before the night is over!

Again, our area has a lot of Polish-Americans, in fact the meat market used to be called the Standish Polish Market before switching owners. So we do not lack for rye bread, herring, kiszka, kielbasa, pickles or any other staples.

When I interviewed in MI's Upper Peninsula a few years ago, the western U.P. has a lot of Finnish people. As DH and I checked into the motel (where the clerk has a last name of Utinen or something) I said, "Honey, if I get this job, where are we going to get paczki for Paczki Day?"

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I grew up in Northern WI. I grew up with plenty of people whos last name ended in SKI [​IMG]
    The only thing I never could get with was raw ground meat on rye bread thing they always served at special occasions [​IMG]

9. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    What!? No smelts or boilo? Or is that Lithuanian?

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    We did smelt. I think it is more a german thing though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by