polish picking each others 'hair' out?'

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Feb 8, 2013.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    I have 2 groups of polish chcikens and have the same problem with both groups (its the only breed i seem to have this problem with!)

they are constantly picking on each others 'puff' plucking out the strands/feathers until the head bleeds.....i have all 8 of the silly buggers apart in cages at the moment until they heal...but i know as soon as i put the back in together they are going to start it again (like last time!) does anyone know how i can break this habit? these birds have cost me a lot of money (they are hard to get hold of here) so i dont want to just give up on them and woud really like to breed them this year...

i have 2 roo's and 6 hens.... 1 group lives in the barn, the other group lives in the garden, they free range all day and sleep in a house at night...ive treated for lice/mites incase that was a problem and they get a varied diet...i cant understand why they keep doing it? bald bleeding heads is not a nice look for these chcikens.... :(

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Space and protein come to mind.
    Without sufficient space all birds will pick at each other. Without sufficient protein they become feather eaters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by