Polish: Picking or molting??? He is balding!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by evitachu, Sep 27, 2015.

1. evitachu

evitachu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    I see a lot, i mean, really a lot, of feathers every day. This guy was picked on in the past, but now he is balding again. I put anti pecking lotion and it seemed to work for a few days. Today I don't see blood. But I see more balding! He is exactly 3 months old tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Those feathers have the sheath still on them which means they are growing or just done growing, I have read about putting the topknot up for a bit with a rubber band so others don't peck, I don't think that looks like pecking but it could certainly attract it. And sometimes they need help getting the sheath off after the feathers are done growing because they obviously can't reach them to preens.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With my polish, I had to use BluKote or Nustock to help prevent the picking out of head feathers. It is pretty common with polish chickens, so put him in a cage for a day or two until you get some meds. Alushield is another maskng product that sprays on, and is aluminum. TSC sells it.i

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by