Polish Problem? Maybe?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jenace, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Jenace

Jenace Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    AZ
    I'm thinking about getting a polish chicken, but I'm not sure.... I think that I've read somewhere that polish chickens don't do well with cold and the winters here get bellow freezing. I'm wondering if there's any chance that I can get one and it will stay healthy. I would appreciate a quick reply. :)
    I have my fingers crossed.

Jenace

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    oh crap, i remember reading that too !! i just forgot to tell my polish. how cold does it get in az.? its supposed to get down to-10 here tomorrow and it has been 15 or so they are out of the wind. so far so good.

3. AtxChick

AtxChick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    From what I've read as long as they dont get cold and wet they do fine but I wouldnt know much about that in TX

4. filibuster93

filibuster93 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    rome, ga
    We have a polish rooster and he seems to be doing fine in the cold. He follows his hen around the yard during they day and they get back in the heated coop at night. He seems to crow more, the more windy it is, but other than that he seems ok. I am in GA, so our temps have been about 40 F during day and about 20-30 F at night. It is supposed to be highs of 20F next few days, so we will see then.

5. Alicatt

Alicatt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2013
    catskills, New York
    I am in upstate New York and bought polish chicks from a local feed store, I do not heat my coop, though I have tarped around the run, and have a lot of hay strewn about. My polish pullet is doing fine so far and it was below zero this week, she seems to tolerate better than the Easter eggers.

6. Jenace

Jenace Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    AZ
    Thanks for all the answers. It really helps! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by