Polish pullet floppy crest

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chiclette, Aug 2, 2010.

1. chiclette

chiclette New Egg

Jul 26, 2010
    Kingston
    Hi all [​IMG]
    I've been a lurker for awhile and have learned a lot on here. Everyone is so knowledgeble, helpful, and just generally friendly. It's great [​IMG]. So since i'm new to the boards, i guess i should introduce myself, hi, I'm Katrina [​IMG]

So anyhoo, onto my question. I have a quirky little buff laced polish pullet. She's had a floppy, twisted crest since i got her a few months ago. A normal person wouldn't have gotten her, but I thought it added "character", hahaa. She's cute though. So I was just wondering what would cause her to have such an odd crest? Is it environmental or genetic? Would there be a way to possibly correct it?

http://i31.tinypic.com/j7t5vr.jpg
    http://i30.tinypic.com/o7vfvt.jpg

and here's an older one:

http://i31.tinypic.com/whbrc4.jpg

edit:
    Oh, so the photos didn't come up... I'll try to fix that quickly [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. chiclette

chiclette New Egg

Jul 26, 2010
    Kingston
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

couple months ago:
    [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know much about crested polish but, I've heard the roos have wild crests and the pullets have a more structured afro look to them. Please don't take this as gospel. I hope someone with experience will answer you soon. Welcome to BYC

4. chiclette

chiclette New Egg

Jul 26, 2010
    Kingston
    Thank you for the welcome and the reply [​IMG] You're right about the crest differences in Polish. My roo has some pretty crazy hair, but not like this pullet. More like Albert Einstein, haha. And my white crested black pullet has a large perfectly round afro. They're so silly looking, that's why i like them so much. But I guess this pullet isn't much for hair styles, eh?

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    [​IMG]

Wow, crazy do on that girl! Maybe her crest is just sparsely feathered? I've got one buff-laced girl whose crest has always been much smaller than the silver-laced girls. Theirs made them blind, and hers is well above her eyes. Maybe your girl just has a different crest?

She does definitely look like a girl, though, doesn't she. How old is she?

6. chiclette

chiclette New Egg

Jul 26, 2010
    Kingston
    Yea, I didn't think of that. Maybe she just doesn't have many feathers. I'm not entirely sure how old she is, she hasn't started laying yet, but I think she's close. Do you think her funky style would pass on if I bred her?

I had read somewhere once, that the floppy crest may be caused by a lack of a vaulted skull. I'd be surprised to find that that'd be the cause since Polish always have vaulted skulls, don't they? But i don't have the guts to go pressing on her head to see if she has a knob, haha.

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Yes, I bet she would pass that on to her offspring. If you want to breed her, get a roo with a big ol' crest, and maybe you can work on breeding out that funkiness!

8. mccaff mama hen

mccaff mama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I'm glad to see your polish. I have one that I'm hoping will be a pullet, but her crest is a bit wild child. I don't have a good recent picture, but this is what I have from last week. I'm not worried about breeding, I picked her(?) cuz I liked the splash of black in the front, kind of the reverse Jay Leno. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. chiclette

chiclette New Egg

Jul 26, 2010
    Kingston
    Ah dang, not excited to hear that it'd be hereditary. I was hoping to produce some possibly show quality chicks. Obviously she isn't, but I was hoping. Oh well [​IMG]

Mccaff, I've never noticed, but the white crested blacks DO look like Jay Leno! Haha! I've always thought Cruella de Vil. I'm not an expert, but I believe yours is a pullet. I have a white that I'd hoped to be a girl, but a few weeks ago he developed a red face and the stringy do. He's about the same age as yours it looks.

For photos sake, here's the cockerel I was wanting to breed her with:
    [​IMG]

10. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    With polish It's not all that great, to have crest that go to far forward, or any of the crested breeds. Except for in the brabanter or appenzeller.
    because they tend to fall forward into their water & get messy & dirty crest I personally cull the polish with crest that fall to forward .

Here's a pic of my flock of WCB polish after this yrs spring shows.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by