Polish pullets or roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickhick, May 13, 2010.

1. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    These Polish are 7 weeks old. The 3 have so very different crests. My guess is pullet for the WCB, roo for the 2-tone (gold laced?) and I used to think roo for the solid black because he never had the globular crest, but now I'm thinking pullet. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Streakhooch

Streakhooch Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    I am no expert what so ever b/c I am new to the Polish breed, but I would say Pullet for both black ones and then Roo for the 2-toned gold laced. Very beautiful I must say. My 2 are really light colored. Did your 2-toned grow the topknot faster. I have 1 that seems to be growing faster then the other both being 3weeks old. I was told both girls but I am think 1 of each.

3. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    The black and white is a Mottled Houdan and it looks like a pullet. The gold laced looks like a cockerel to me, but I have z buff laced pullet (confirmed) with a wacky crest, so only time will tell! The solid black one doesn't look pure polish to me. Maybe a Crevacoeur? Where did you get these guys?

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Pullet
    Roo (maybe, my hatchery stock were spikey up until they laid)
    Pullet

5. Chickhick

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    They are just some I picked up in Tractor Supply. They were in a bin labeled "assorted bantams." Can Mottled Houdans be bantam and have only 4 toes instead of 5 on each foot? How about Crevecoeurs being bantam? They are really small compared to my standard chicks, so I don't think they were accidentally put in the wrong bin.

I would love it if they were Houdan and Crevecoeur... I also had bought the Top hat Special hatching eggs from McMurray and they were apparantly dropped in shipping... all that hatched were 1 WCB Polish and 2 gold Polish. (They refunded the cost of 5 eggs that were actually cracked.) So I didn't end up with much of an assortment!

The 2-tone guy was a mercy buy. He was crippled and couldn't even stand up when I got him, but over several weeks he got better, and now he doesn't even limp! [​IMG] But he does have kind of a funny posture. All their crests developed about the same rate, just in very different forms.

6. Chickhick

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Come to think of it, the black one did have a different head shape from the beginning. I almost didn't get it because I was afraid it wouldn't have a nice crest. Anybody have experience with Crevecoeurs?

7. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    Hmmm, I didn't even notice the toes. Definitely looks like a Houdan, though.... Yes, they can be bantam and I believe the Crevs also come in bantam. I was thinking if this was from a Top Hat special that's probably what you've got. Those little tootsies have me stumped, though! Lucky finds! I wish I'd stumble across some cuties like that!

8. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    But, since they're hatchery stock maybe the mottled one is mixed with Polish or maybe the (lack of) toe thing is a defect?

9. Chickhick

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    If the black is a Crevecoeur, when should the v-comb show up? (Or does it even appear on the girls?)

10. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    It really varies from bird to bird. My Sultan pullets and one of my Polish pullets have flesh colored combs and I have 2 other Polish pullets with bright red combs. One of the pale combed girls is a year old and the others will be a year at the beginning of June. They brighter combed girls developed several months ago but at different times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by