polish puzzler *Updated with more pictures of NEW chickens at #10

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cat, Nov 15, 2009.

1. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Can anyone tell me how old Polish cockerels are when they get their wattles? I have 5, 14 week old gold laced chicks who have me completely perplexed.

All have head feathers that point backwards in a pom pom effect, but some have head feathers slightly more pointed than others however they don't have the mad scientist look that I have seen in cockerel pictures on the web.

None have wattles and none are crowing, but I am not sure how old they are when they start.

I absolutely love these little guys, they are the friendliest and funniest chickens I have ever seen. I suspect they are however aliens as I often go to the window to watch them for a minute only to realise I have lost an hour - go figure [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    If you post pictures we can probably tell if they are pullets or cockrels. It is a look that you just learn to recognize. By the sounds of it, you have all hens but there is no way for me to be sure without a picture. My splash seem like regular chickens but the buff laced and blue may be aliens [​IMG]

3. cat

Jul 9, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will try and get some better ones tomorrow. Thanks, I really appreciate your help as I cannot keep any that are roosters and I want to have time to get homes for them before they start to crow.

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Pullets!

5. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Girlies!

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Yup, those two pictures look like pullets.

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Girls!

8. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    GIRLSS! they look like they have a feather ball on there head [​IMG]

9. natkev

natkev Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Central Coast
    pullets

10. cat

Jul 9, 2008
    first the frizzle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately it has been raining pretty much non-stop for days, so the feathers on his/her head are very wet and usually do not look pointy at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next one I am pretty sure is a roo but am still hoping for the best [​IMG] Please don't judge me, feeding them bagels on the kitchen counter was the only way to make them pose for the camera [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this one is a girl, she is a lot more timid than the rest and wants to be picked up and petted all the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All help gratefully appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by