Polish question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mountain Sunshine, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Mountain Sunshine

Mountain Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    We have a polish and I posted pictures on here before but here is another one. I was told that it looked like a pullet. She/he is 17 weeks old. There are no signs of a comb yet. Do polish chickens mature late? When do their combs come in and at what age do they start laying? She is the smallest of our flock and I have to kind of baby her make sure she gets food etc..She/he seems to be the odd man out or the misfit in the group. (poor thing)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Looks like a pullet to me. Mine didn't start laying until around 28 weeks and lays infrequently. She's just around for looks!

3. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    That is definitely a pullet. The hens have a rounded head and the males tend to arch out to the sides. The males are also a dark golden color in their feathering versus the females lighter color on the Buff Polish. If I have time I will try and get a pic of my Roo for you today to show the differences! [​IMG]

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    pullet and she is pretty!

5. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    You've got a pretty girl!
    I've noticed my Pollocks don't really HAVE combs, just tiny, tiny bumps.
    Polish are not known for their laying ability, just so you know. She may be a late maturer, or she could have buried her eggs under the material in the nest box. [​IMG] Mine like to do that.

6. Mountain Sunshine

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    Thanks...Her name is Ralph! I know..my daughter didn't want to change her name...

I think she may be a later bloomer. But, she is sooo sweet! We are building nesting boxes this weekend.

7. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    This is Roc a 2 year old Buff Laced Polish Roo. Notice how much brighter their color is than the hens. The crest is flared out like a punk rock hairdo. [​IMG][​IMG] I tried to take a good pic but it was feeding time this am and he was busy!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    Her name is Ralph!

We've got a roo named Primrose. Other roos I have owned have had the names Sugar and Mascara. [​IMG]
    Dunno why, all our hens have obvious girl names.

She looks like a Ralph. [​IMG]

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    My buff laced Polish took a long time to lay and like all Polish, they don't lay well at all. Yours does look like a hen.
    One of my hens when she was younger
    [​IMG]

10. Mountain Sunshine

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    Quote:Looked like Ralph when she was younger!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by