Polish Rock Band Gender? Color? UPDATED PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HighNDryFarm, Jul 9, 2011.

1. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    I think I can kinda sorta figure out what colors most of them will be when they grow up by chick comparison pictures I've found on the web but this one has me curious. Anyone know what it might grow up to look like?

Also, I think someone told me that you can maybe sex them by their tophat shape at a young age. What was that theory again? Or any tips? I have 9 and want at least one rooster since I plan on breeding....I'm in LOVE with these crazy things! [​IMG]

Sorry about the fuzzy pictures of the fuzzy butts! I can't seem to get them to hold still long enough to get the focus on them....or my old eyes..... [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We call this one Buster because it has what looks like a black eye...AND if there's one that escapes, it's this one and I'm telling you it can run! My thighs are sore from running in the squatted position trying to catch the little buster![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a group shot, the one I'm asking about is the colorful one in the feeder. The one in the feeder with it was a throw-in because it didn't have much of a tophat. Will that get bigger? Any input on the others is always nice too! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Buster looks just like the "Free Rare Exotic Chick" McMurray Hatchery sent me this year, which was a White Crested Black Polish. [​IMG]

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Does it have extra toes? If so, I would guess it is a mottled Houdan.

4. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Well, they came from a breeder and she keeps her Polish well separated so it's Polish (and no extra toes). I was thinking WCB but in the week I've had the chicks, this one's white feathers have become more prominent while the other two WCB have stayed dark. They're only about 10 days so maybe things will change....the group shot was taken a week ago, the first pictures were taken today. Just for a comparison...if possible on whether it's just me who thinks the feathers are more white then a week ago???[​IMG]

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    In that case, I would think white crested black but it's current color looks like you'd see with a mottled variety. Hmmmm, it'll be interesting to see how it grows.

6. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:I was thinking a mottled variety too but all the chick/adult comparisons that I found, none matched. Guess I'll have to wait....I'll turn my attention to my "middle" group, 8 week old "brown laying egg chickens" and try to figure out what I got there so I won't keep staring at this group.... and I always have the group I hatched in February...but I mostly have them figured out...mostly. It always seems to be "interesting" to see them grow! [​IMG] Which is why this is one of my favorite threads!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by