Polish Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LMC, Nov 2, 2010.

1. LMC

LMC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2010
    Hi all!

I love this site, been a lurker for a while. I have what I thought to be a Polish hen, but now I'm not sure. I have 2 Golden Laced Polish chickens, they look identical. Pumpkin acts like a hen, Acorn behaves much more like a roo. She/He is territorial, will run the cats and the dog right out of the run, but she does not crow. Acorn is definitely the leader of my little flock (there are 4 chickens total). I would have pegged her as a roo without question but since she looks so much like Pumpkin I don't know. My little chickens are almost 4 months old.
    Any help you can give is awesome! I'm definitely hoping that she is a hen though! Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I see girls. [​IMG]

Roosters by now would have a very definite "rooster" looking tail, and their crest and beard would be much bigger and showier. Also, she's got that sweet Polish look in her face. . . I just love that in laced Polish hens.

3. Mywifesidea

Mywifesidea Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2010
    I'm leaning towards hens, too!

4. LMC

LMC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2010
    Thank you, Thank you! If she was a roo she would have had to go to my dad's and join a much bigger flock!

5. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I think it's a hen as well. The feathers are rounded over the tail and on the neck. The head poof is ball-shaped, rather than a slicked back Elvis impersonator.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I just had to say that i LOVE that last picture... Hilarious!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by