1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish Roos or hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by raven880, Apr 13, 2008.

1. raven880

raven880 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2007
    Central Indiana
    Does anyone have any hints for telling the roos from the hens on Polish chicks that are about 6 wks old? I have 4 all white ones and 3 black with white crests and they all seem to act pretty much alike.
    Gotta say they are the funniest looking little things running around with their big old hats on!
    Thanks for any advice.
    Paula

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When the crest feathers develop the males have a spikey punky rock hair do. The females have a round powder puff look.

3. raven880

Oct 3, 2007
    Central Indiana
    Quote:Hmmm, all the white ones look kinda spikey and all the black ones look like powder puffs...flattened on top but spread way out. I"ll try to get some pictures of the individuals and post them.
    Thanks, Miss Prissy.

4. starfroggie

starfroggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Walla Walla
    I have one of each, a pullet and a roo. Pics on my website. Might help ya out [​IMG] My white one is the pullet, the dark one is the roo.

5. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:Click on "my page" at the bottom of this message. Then click on WC Polish at the top of the page, I have some pictures there that might help.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  6. raven880

Oct 3, 2007
    Central Indiana
    I finally have pics of the individual chics and am going to post them under a new post later today so keep an eye out for them. It will have 'Polish' somewhere in the subject line
    I"d do it now but I have my 10 mos old granddaughter today and everytime I start something on here she skoots off out of sight and I have to stop to get her. Guess I need to play with her for the rest of the day. <g>

7. raven880

Oct 3, 2007
    Central Indiana
    verthandi, I just saw your post and checked your photos. I'll have to look closely at my chicks but I don't recall seeing any really red, angry looking area on their cere area but their feathers cover it so I could miss it. Thanks for letting me know about it.

8. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Glad to help, just keep an eye on the cere and wattles for deepening color. I tried to check out your new post, but most of the photos only loaded the top couple of inches. It might be my dial up.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  9. raven880

Oct 3, 2007
    Central Indiana
    Quote:Try going here and click on pages 6 and 7 of the album. You can see smaller versions there. It's all the individual chick shots.

http://public.fotki.com/raven880/chicks/

Thanks so much for trying to help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by