Polish Rooster Dance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farmer-1-2-B, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Farmer-1-2-B

Farmer-1-2-B New Egg

Jul 24, 2008
    Maine
    I just purchased my first rooster, an 8 month old buff laced Polish. I’m curious about his behavior. Whenever we let him out of his quarantine cage to play he will occasionally drop one of his wings and step sideways toward that wing, almost like he's lost his balance and is tripping over his own feet. He doesn’t do it all the time and when it happens it is a quick stumble and he’s fine. Is this a typical rooster dance or does he have some kind of neurological disorder or sickness. He also crows a lot but I’m guessing it’s because he’s in a new place and is calling to my hens. Will he settle down once he is out of quarantine and in with the ladies?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Mine does a silly rooster dance in the morning when we let him out, he comes out of the coop about 4th or 5th. he leans to one side and walks around the hens I think its the ohh my so many hens to do so little time dance, thats what we call it, yours sound almost the same as mine. So I think it's normal if it's the same as my rooster, he stops after a few min or after a few hens !!!!!

3. Farmer-1-2-B

Farmer-1-2-B New Egg

Jul 24, 2008
    Maine
    Thanks for letting me know that Fizzy's not alone in his fancy dance step. Is your roo a Polish too? I'm wondering if their crest feathers don't cause them to have issues with limited vision. I can see his eyes but some of his feathers do hang across them. [​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    no he's a barred rock, but my silkie rooster does it also and he's a hair ball.... Hmmmmm we should trim there eye feathers LOL !!!

5. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    my polish almost does the same thing

6. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    When our roos do the dance around the ladies my DD and I start singing, I'm too sexy for my wings too sexy for my tail too sexy yeah!! It is the mating dance...

7. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    My Polish does the rooster dance every morning when I let him out and several times a day. My Silkie does it also and then tries to mate with my BIL's shoe (he's alittle confused) but it's hilarious to watch, lol.

8. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    [​IMG]

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    LOL My friends phoenix tries to mate her shoe also! [​IMG] She said one of her Serama's tried mating a towel on the floor. That is so funny!

10. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    My Banty rooster tried a cantalope last night, just the rine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by