Polish rooster fertilizing Amaracauna eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by keefersfiddle, Sep 7, 2010.

1. keefersfiddle

keefersfiddle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2010
    I have seen my polish rooster mating with my Amaracauna hen ALOT! Does anyone know what the chicken would be if I tried to hatch them? Would they be Amaracauna, polish, or a hybrid? I just don't know how this works, any help would be much appreciated!!!!!!!

2. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    They will be Policanas. [​IMG]
    No, really - You can call them Easter Eggers, which are pretty much mutts that carry a gene for different colored eggs. Most of the babies will lay greenish eggs (hopefully).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    Yep.... I have 4 flocks and one of my flocks is an Easter Egger Flock. Most "Ameraucana" chicks sold at the Feed Stores are actually EE

4. keefersfiddle

Sep 3, 2010
    I wonder if it will be smaller like the polish, and crested? Can any chicken breed with any chicken?

5. keefersfiddle

Sep 3, 2010
    I really want to get the real Amaracaunas, I just hate calling mine easter eggers I guess. I cant fin d any any true ones around here in Tucson, but I have seen them on Ebay, is this a good way to go?

6. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Yes, as they are all the same species. You should avoid doing something such as breeding a Jersey Giant to an Bantam Cochin, but overall any chickens can breed with eachother. You may get some with beards, some with crests, some with both, some with none. FUN.
    Your Polish roo is smaller than your Ameraucana?
    I want to get true Ameraucana's, too, and am planning on getting some in the spring from BYC members. Many people here are very good breeders who are proud to sell you REAL Ameraucanas. Not that I don't love my EE and OE, but I do want a few of those gorgeous blue-egg laying birds.

7. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    My Brittney is half polish and half EE!! She is one of my favorite hens! She's the same size as my other EEs, loads of personality and it my ONLY peach egg layer! NOT brown, but a blush colored peach. She's the white one running with the english muffin in her mouth. She has a cute little hairdo too (think Elvis)!!

[​IMG]

8. backyard clucker

backyard clucker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Auburn, IN
    i hatch one and got a Rooster with a little Top hat black with a little one white on it. I have a picture on my cell phone I can send the picture if you like just Pm phone number

9. leslierf

leslierf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Tucson area
    Keefersfiddle-- Try going to the Arizona thread in the "where am I, where are you" forum. I think there are some people in the Phoenix/Mesa area that have REAL Ameracaunas. Just ask, they are very friendly;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by