Polish rooster hatched in april still bald!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenjane82, Dec 21, 2011.

1. chickenjane82

chickenjane82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    I have a polish rooster that was hatched in april and he still hasnt gotten the very top of his head feathers. He has a huge bald spot!
    Is there something wrong with him? I have 3 female and they all filled out evenly. Ive never had polish before....

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    A Picture would help a ton [​IMG] Now obviously polish roo's never get the nice crests the women have. There's are more crazy and going in every direct. When you say bald spot do you mean maybe where the feathers go outward, creating the appearance of a bald spot or an actual bald spot where you can see the head?

3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Maybe the hens are picking the feathers

4. ke5hde

ke5hde Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Lafayette,NY
    I have a trio.. 1 wc black roo and hen and a wc blue pullet. Its a constant battle to keep the girls from picking out the center of his crest. Poor guy looks like Friar Tuck. Wish I could help but I generally separate them..same coop just separated..only 3 in the coop and its 10x16.

Chris

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Your girls are picking his feathers out. Polish are often picked on because their bouncy little head feathers are so hard to resist. As far as solutions? You're gonna need to put some kinda ointment on his head that the girls don't like. Personally, I use...
    [​IMG]

If you find out it's only 1 or 2 particular hens, you can order some pinless peepers....
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by