1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish rooster with a punctured back.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pikaachu3us, Nov 20, 2010.

1. pikaachu3us

pikaachu3us New Egg

Nov 20, 2010
    We had some sort of attack tonight. Possiable racoon. NOw our rooster has to punctures on his back. When he tries to move around it seems as if you can hear him breathing through one of the holes. Is there anything that can be done tonight. It is 11:30 pm and we have no chicklen vets around? HE is in a kennel in my basement and seems to be ok as long as he is quiet. I put some antibioic ointment on his back.

2. pikaachu3us

pikaachu3us New Egg

Nov 20, 2010
    ) What type of bird , age and weight. Polish rooster about 7 months old
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Laying down has punctures on his back from an animal attack sounds as if he is breathing thru on of them and it sounds like celophane crinkling.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? since last PM at 9:00
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. see 2
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. animal attack possiablly a dog
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. has been offered water not interested
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? some neosporin on his injury
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? can not find a vet I have been on the phone all morning.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use dog kennel convet to a coop/tractor. Shavings on the ground when we are not moving it around.

Pleas help me! I think he is going to die and he is fighting too hard.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    He sounds like he has an injury from which there is little chance of survival. Either he has punctures to his lungs or to one or more air sacs (probably more likely the air sacs), and there is not much of a chance that he will survive it without some veterinary intervention, which is going to be very expensive. I, myself, would cull the bird.

4. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Poor baby... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] i think you may have to cull... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I think it sounds like a case to cull, but if you wanted to give it a shot, could try to tape over the punchture so it was not sucking and get what you can in for antibiotics into the chicken. Low chance at best though as infection and fluid in the lungs/air sacs will be a big problem.

6. pikaachu3us

pikaachu3us New Egg

Nov 20, 2010
    a visiting vet in town has seen him. He is in very bad shape but still hanging in there. If he survives the night the vet says there is a chance. He was given antibiotic shots which the vet will teach me to give tomorrow for the rest of the week. He is by no means out of the woods, but he is a sweet bird and my daughters pet so we will help him to fight.

7. pikaachu3us

pikaachu3us New Egg

Nov 20, 2010
    Believe it or not our rooster is still surviving and healing well. He went on a trip with us as I had to give him antibiotic shots daily and we were traveling for Thanksgiving. Upon our return home we discovered he had a broken wing as well as the severe punctures. Took him to a new "Parrot" vet, who cleaned up the wounds and put everything back in place and stitched him up. He is now nearly-healed and growing new feathers. I have called him the most expensive rooster in the USA. He will most likely be unable to show anymore but my daughter is happy to still have her pet and he will be pretty. His wing will most likely be frozen though.

8. TheBantamPrevails

TheBantamPrevails Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Quote:Such great news! Thanks for sharing!

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Boy, you dodged a bullit this time. Like everyone has said, that kind of injury is almost always fatal and the most humane thing is to cull. Glad he made it..........Pop

10. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Great news that your boy made it! [​IMG]
    It sounds more like a dog than a racoon. Usually if a racoon gets ahold of a chicken they are done for pretty quick as they go for the neck and head. A dog will grab and play usually the canines create the puncture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by