POLISH ROOSTER with STANDARD HENS?????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bald k9, Nov 22, 2009.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Hello do you think a polish roo will get picked on with standard hens??? thank you for your time ,I just love the look of the polish

2. bald k9

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Bump!! sorry ,I kinda need to know soon! [​IMG]

3. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I have polish mixed in with my laying flock, and havent had any problems. [​IMG]

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I have a Polish rooster in with Standard hens, roosters, guineas and they don't bother him. Actually he's the head of the flock and he's adopted my guineas.

I don't know what anyone else's experience has been but mine has been a good one.

Laurie

5. bald k9

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Thanks ,I just always heard polish get picked on because of their crest, thanks again [​IMG]

6. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have heard the same thing,I know the lady up the road from me has a polish hen in with her banties and there is no problem.

7. chicken nanny

chicken nanny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    [​IMG]I close to u, Up here by Jerseyville.... would u like another Polish roo, he is 6 months old, he is with a group of 25 RIR He sure does his job good....He kinda meek and layed bk...I cut his feathers back so he can see now he is much better, happier..... thought i would ask;;;;
    [​IMG]

8. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but my Polish rooster has had his crest feathers picked at until bloody by my otherwise very nice hens ever since he started growing them, and when I looked on this site, found that that had been the experience of many, many folks. Quite a few people had to give up their Polish (many, like me, recd him as the "free exotic" chick in a McMurray's order). I still have my guy, but I have to keep his top feathers bound up in a topknot to protect his head, or they will pick at him until he bleeds, and even with regular attention, and using Rooster Booster to discourage it (which doesn't seem to work very well), he's still got a pretty sad looking head. I really like him and he's quite beautiful, and the chickens seem to like him, too, but if I had to do it over, I probably wouldn't have kept him, and I certainly wouldn't have chosen a Polish. My hens are all bigger breeds, so maybe with banties or small chickens, it would be less of a problem... None of my chickens pick at each other at all, just poor Puff.

9. chickndoglover

chickndoglover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Victoria, BC Canada
    I have a polish roo with 14 assorted standard hens and 1 other roo and none of them pick on him or his topnot. I must be one of the lucky ones, he was added to the flock about half way along, I guess it depends on all of the chickens individual personalities

10. bald k9

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Hey Chicken nanny how far are you from Hamel,IL?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by