1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish Roosters

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Equest94, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    After the sudden death of my roo, my dad agreed to allow me to buy/order a few more chicks this coming Spring. We plan on getting 2 or 3 more females and 1 male. My dad wants to get a Polish rooster...he thinks they look interesting, lol.

I'm sure a thread about the breed has been posted somewhere but I couldn't dig it up...

Is anyone familiar with the breed? How is their temperament? Are they "hardy" in Winter? Do they do alright being confined? Are they prone to any specific diseases?

Does anyone know of any good hatcheries to order from? - one that had healthy and strong chicks and takes very special care in shipping them? I checked out McMurray's site (although I haven't heard too many good things about them lately), and they don't seem to have that much in stock...

anyone know where I could order a Polish-roo chick?

Thanks in advanced.

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    LOL! Interesting is not the word for a polish roo! Hilarious is more like it! We love them chickens and we are going to get some this year too! Best of luck on your fuzzy butt search![​IMG]

3. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    [​IMG]
    Polish roosters are alot of fun to watch.
    I bought a White Crested Black at a sale 2 years ago and that started my Polish disease [​IMG]
    I now have a Silver Laced hen and 3 babies from last year ( 2 Roos and a hen)
    From my experience they do alot better in an enclosed run outside because of their head feathers they can not see anything sneaking up on them. Also they love to perch so I have branches about 4 feet high for them to fly up and sit on. they also have a sand box because they love to roll in the sand.
    I have not had any problems with them at all. In the winter I do have a heat lamp in with the roos because when it gets real cold their waddles can get frost bite and fall off.
    Good Luck and enjoy!!![​IMG]

4. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    We have recently become addicted to the polish chickens. We have WC blacks and self whites. They talk - ALOT! They are real characters!!

You can cut their head feathers back or tie them up to keep them out of their eyes.

Cackle hatchery has several varieties available

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I have had two Polish roosters and both were very aggressive, even after I clipped feathers so they could see well. Both would attack me from behind even if I was nowhere near their girls. It might have just been bad luck on my part, I don't know. I hand fed and raised them both and they were sweet as could be at first...and then both turned out to be very mean. Like I said, it could have just been bad luck on my part. I hope others chime in and let you know how it's gone for them. Maybe someone here has had them before without any problems. They are gorgeous though and I do miss seeing them in my pen and running around the yard.....but I just can't keep a mean rooster.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard that Polish roos can be very mean. My hen, however, is my favorite girl. Can't say anything mean about the breed as a whole, but they DON'T fare well in winter. Crest feathers freeze and turn to icicles. My Pet Chicken has Polish-fowl.

7. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Here are my babies.....they're all pullets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    u might have to take a polish roo to the barber shop [​IMG]

9. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I rehomed two polish roosters. They were both aggressive. One let the girls pick his crest until it was bloody - yuck! [​IMG]
    I was excited to get my Polish. I have kept a couple hens, but they are not my favorites. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by