Polish Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by texpainthorse, Aug 28, 2014.

1. texpainthorse

texpainthorse Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2014
    I bought 4 white crested polish chicks from Atwood's in the spring. It turned out that 3 were roosters. Two blacks and one blue. I have a blue hen as well. They are just beautiful. Recently, out of my 17 chickens, the blue polish rooster has taken over the yard. He bullies even the large Barred Plymouth Rock Rooster. Everyone teases me because he follows me around like a dog. Yesterday, as I was walking across my driveway, he ran up behind me and attacked my leg. He put a cut on my calf. This morning at turn out, he fluff out at me and acted like he was going to attack again but when I walked toward him, he layed down and started clucking, when I walked away, he attacked one of the other roosters and pulled out some of his crest feathers and stood there pecking at the feathers on the ground. I don't understand this change and sudden aggression. He was always a loving little guy. None of the others are aggressive at all. He also crows all day long. All of my chickens are the same age and have just started breeding. The hens haven't started laying yet. They have just reached 4 months old.
    Any ideas?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Your Polish rooster, because he has just reached maturity, is just full of testosterone and really showing everybody that he is the boss. This can be a difficult time because he will continue to attack, in order to show his dominance. I've had a few roosters like that, and I used to have to carry a rolled up newspaper in my back pocket. That way, if he comes at you again, you can ward him off by giving him a whack, without really hurting him. Don't be surprised though, if he keeps coming at you.

This is pretty normal rooster behavior. With time, they often "chill out" a bit, but sometimes they don't. I guess it's all about what you are willing to put up with. Consider containing him, maybe in a fenced area. That way there can be peace within your flock......That's about the only thing I can think of.....

Oh, and all roosters are not mean or agressive like this. I truly think it depends on the breed. I remember my Polish rooster was such a sweetie as a chick....and it was so hard to believe he became so mean....

Take care,
    Sharon

1 person likes this.
  3. texpainthorse

texpainthorse Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2014
    Thanks Sharon.
    Bummer! He is by far my favorite. I was going to rehome the 2 blacks and keep him. Now, I may have to let him go as well. I can't have my grand children attacked. I do have an old coup that I could put some netting on and keep him and his pretty blue hen in there. I hate to part with him.

My RIR and Barred Rock are still very sweet and are the same age. I hope that doesn't change. I haven't been able to have chickens in years so I feel like I'm starting as a newbie with these.
    Thanks again!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I know, I have a little grandson who is almost 3, and a 4 year old granddaughter. And the rooster I have is nearly as big as they are. I feel the same way, I'd rather re-home a nasty rooster than risk the grandchildren.....They could be scarred....

Oh, but if you have that other coop, what a great idea! Put your pretty Polish chickens in there, with some fencing around and problem solved!

I'll cross my fingers for you and I hope your other two roosters stay nice and calm.......I do love having a rooster. Love the crowing and they're so beautiful. The best rooster I ever had was a Buckeye. He was amazingly gentle. I also got out of chickens for a few years--sold my entire flock. But my husband and I missed them so badly, now I have 14 that I purchased as chicks from a hatchery. And they're so much fun.

My rooster is a Lavendar Orpington, still a cockerel, and so he's young and sweet too right now. I'm also hoping he stays a nice boy. LOL

Keep in touch, and take care,
    Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by