Polish sick, please read.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crickett B, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    My little polish chick, Bowie, is not acting right. He was sitting just hunched over, now he is laying down pecking at the bottom of the tub. I put him back in with the 2 tiny tiny babies for warmth, since he looked like was shivering. least now he is moving (not walking) where as before he was not doing anything at all.
    He never has been flighty or nervous, really calm.
    He always has felt like he weighs nothing (compared to the houdan, that is the same age, and actually "heavy" feeling compared to the polish)
    Could Bowie's beak, be part of the issue? To me it looks like he has a serious "overbite" or is this how polish chickens look?
    [​IMG]
    Today, I actually thought the poor thing was dead, as it was not moving, and had it's eyes shut.
    Is there anything that I can possibly do for him?
    Thank you in advance
    Crickett

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. Peppypap

Peppypap Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    Poor thing! I wish I could help, but I know nothing about chicks.

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    sulmet...today... and some duramyacin at the same time.... He is emaciated and is likely struggling with a burden... wehn you can get him to eat then feed him food with DE in it and Tumeric..

4. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    What in the world has caused it????????

I hope he makes it through the night, as I do not have any of that, and the feed store is close.

Other than what you have said, is there anything that else that I can do? He has always eaten, and always drank, just like the others. I have not noticed him doing that today at all....just laying there.

5. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Since I was up till 6:30 am with Bowie, I have not made it to my local feed store, yet. If anyone has any other ideas, on what I should also get while I am there, or what I can do for him, please let me know.
    He is still alive this morning. I attempted to squirt a raw egg and water in his beak all last night just to keep some sort of fluid in him. He at least was standing albeit like a vulture hunched over, but with his eyes closed. Now he is laying down on top of his feet, and not like yesterday on his side with feet sticking out He has pooped several times, it looks normal to me. But he wont eat or drink on his own at all.
    Thank you for any help
    Crickett

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Have you checked to make sure there are not parasites on him? Esp in his top knot and around the vent? They can kill them pretty fast.
    sharon

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    how old is he and has he ever been wormed?

8. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

So very, very sorry for your baby. I recently lost one of my girls and I know what it's like to feel so helpless. I syringed fluid into her beak to keep her hydrated when she wouldn't drink, but in the end it didn't matter; whatever was wrong with her couldn't be helped. [​IMG]

9. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    What would I look for? He is an inside baby bird about 8-10 weeks old. I don't see anything different on his feathers or body.

10. Causin Chaos

Causin Chaos Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    You can take a finger nail file and gently file his top beak back some. Just try not to take off alot and see if he can eat better.
    You may want to give him egg in yogurt. They usually like that. Also poly visal with no iron they say is good but i dont know what
    Dosage to give him. Im sure someone on here will know. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by