Polish Standards with mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by polishgurl47, Sep 6, 2010.

1. polishgurl47

polishgurl47 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I bought some polish that had mites. i thought i could handle it because i have poultry dust at home. for the first week i dusted them and the area i confined them in. no change. it got to the point where i had to buy more dust so im kinda freaking out about these things. is there a mite that isnt killed by Poutry dust?

2. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I have heard a lot of ppl use the ivermec (spelling?) pour on for really bad cases and do it quick. someone should be able to help with the dose.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Red fowl mites or scaly leg mites??? Are you certain they're mites rather than lice? Just checking...lol. The Ivermec pour on will do it. I used Adams Flea & Tick spray on a rooster we had, and it worked like a charm. If you try that, cover the birds' faces when spraying, and spray some on your hands to really work it down to the skin, and around the neck head area - obviously avoid eyes/beak area.

PS - I'm horrible with the powders...I seem to have more on me by the time all's said and done than on the bird. Plus the dust is horrible.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree, I've had great luck with both ivermec and Adams' spray. Vets and WalMart carry Adams'. And I agree the spray is better than the powder, probably because you get a more thorough application. I only used ivermec because I was also worming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by