Polish Top Hats crossed with BO or NH?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickChick0811, May 19, 2011.

1. ChickChick0811

ChickChick0811 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    A friend of mine has Polish Top Hat pullets and needs to place them (2 and I believe they are 2-3 weeks old) I am new to the chicken world and I have 5 4 week old chicks. 4 are BO and one is a NH. I think the NH is a roo. Is it not good to mix these breeds? They are all very young so I was thinking this would be the time to mix them in my coop. Does anyone know what they look like if they breed together? I also heard Polish Top Hats are friendly when they are older. Is that true? My chicks are all very sweet and I did my research before I hatched them. I have to know by tonight and I don't have much time today to research so I'm hoping to get some great advice from my fellow BYC members. Thanks everyone!

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    No idea, but I'll give you a bump

3. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    I don't have any polish, my son is dying for some tho. What I have read is often they get picked on by other chickens maybe b/c of their feathering. My BO's were very good getting along w/ every one, hope that helps And yes mixing them at a younger age helps with the "pecking order" issues that come with mixing flocks at older ages

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I bought four polish chicks when they were 4 weeks old (and my other chicks were 2 weeks old).

They all got along fine except for two of the polish chicks got their heads pecked on a bit.

They're 13 weeks old now and all are doing fine.

The polish chickens do not see very well, so they can be startled easily if you go to pick them up, but they're pretty tame otherwise.

I have two hens and two roos.

I don't know how the polish crosses would look, but I'm sure there are photos on the forum some place.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by