Polish topic no more! Hi-jacked by horse-lovers - Come see my Fjord!

Kelly G

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Tampa (Wesley Chapel), Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I'm considering one roo for my flock. CONSIDERING. I am completely taken by the look of the Polish (especially the white crested blacks) chickens, but since I read that they are not the best layers...I'm not bent on having a hen (but haven't ruled it out).

I'm interested in hearing everyone's experience/input on this. I'm just gathering information
wink.png

Last edited:
I don't have any polish roosters, so I can't speak completely from experience. However, I do have 2 polish hens (pullets- they are 20 weeks today), one silver laced, one white crested black. They are in a mixed flock with 2 BR, 1 BA (only rooster), 1 GLW, 1 BO, & 2 EE. The "big" birds all picked on my white crested, especially my BR and the BA. I had to remove her to let her heal, and now I'm having a hard time re-introducing her. I'm actually in the process of building a separate coop for my 2 polish ladies. They just seem to get picked on universally. I've read that lots on this board.

My friend ordered 6 polish with me (3 of each silver and WC) and one turned out to be a rooster (the WC). She has banties as well, and even the banties pick on the rooster. I don't know if the WC are particularly docile/submissive, or if it's just a coincidence, but that's my experience. It seems to be an overall agreement that it's easier not to have crested breeds in with other breeds. I wish I had realized that before. Good luck whatever you decide.

I noticed you have a Fjord- I love them! I am a therapeutic riding instructor, and one of the facilities I work at has a Fjord gelding, Sigbjorn. He is a tank, and the sweetest guy you'll ever meet. I'd love to have a Fjord in my future. They're a far cry from my 2 off the track thoroughbreds!

I've had great luck with my polish girls...they are very friendly and sweet. They get alone well with my buff orps and slw. The roos I've had have both been nice at first and then very protective around a year old. They would attack unprovoked so they are both gone now.

I really do enjoy my girls though.
love.gif

Ok....I think a Polish is off my list until I can provide separate accomodations. You all are saying many of the things I've heard/read about roosters and what I've heard/read about Polish. I really, really want them, but have serious concerns about them getting picked on my my Rocks (and soon Wyandottes)...so I thought maybe a rooster might be able to hold his own, but I don't want a rooster that I have to re-home due to aggression issues.

I think, for now, I'm going to have to be happy with my Rocks and Wyandottes (coming this spring).

I love this chicken thing!!! And I LOVE this sight!

Quote:
OK - I'm about to hi-jack my own thread!
big_smile.png
I LOVE my Fjord!!! I've had Morgan and Saddlebred showhorses my whole life (and one crazy Arab), and I decided it was time for something a little less...mmm...what's the word I'm looking for...schizo..Yup! That's it! No more crazy, wild rides (which I really did love)! I need peace and harmony....or at least no broken bones or concussions.

Now, in my 40s, I'm looking for the comfortable ride. He's like taking my sofa out for a ride! And my sofa can seat three or four people comfortably! (He pulls a cart). He never has a bad day, and he never suspects the fence post of stalking him or the plastic bag of trying to kill him
lol.png
He is an absolute joy - we're looking for another one for my hubby.

Here are a couple of pics:

DSC_0026Medium.jpg

Even Fjords have bad hair days!!!
cid_001501c8cb62007a55b06700a8c0Kel.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

SiggyLarge2.jpg

Also, how do you not love a horse who is shorter than you, but whos head is as big as your torso!!!
cid_000501c9592bea093eb06700a8c0Kel.jpg

This is, appearantly, a few more than a couple of picutres! Sorry - my bad!!! Let's see your horse(s) everyone!

Last edited:
Gorgeous!! I'm a wanna-be as far as owning a horse is concerned, but I saw a pair of Fjiords pulling a cart at a horse show in Flagsataff once, and fell in love with them.

Back
Top Bottom