Polish Turken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by solarquail, Jan 21, 2010.

1. solarquail

solarquail Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    is it true ...is it POSSIBLE? to breed a polish to a turken and get a turken with a hat? [​IMG]

I was told it doesnt turn out into a full hat, and ive heard if you breed a turken to a polish youll get a plain old turken.

So whats the truth?

Even though a polish turken would be cute...yet very ...ODD.

2. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Songster

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
  3. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Songster

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Showgirl mama x Polish daddy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Vcomb

Vcomb Songster

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
  5. solarquail

solarquail Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    yea i knew about showgirls.

AWW! the baby turkens ugh im jelouse mine arent laying for this year yet i cant wait to hatch some babies

6. solarquail

solarquail Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:exactly what im talking about!

7. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I could have swore we had some members here with polish x turken crosses. Other than rarebreedeggs above.

8. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Songster

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Quote:Mine are just for fun [​IMG]

9. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    They're very cute though [​IMG]

10. Professional

Professional Songster

Mar 22, 2008
    First of all, the correct name of the breed is Naked Neck, not "turken". "Turken" was devised at a time when more of the public were rural and ignorant, before we became more educated as a society, and before many of the consumer protection laws were around to help call attention to the need for a little truth in advertising. Created as a clever marketing ploy by enterprising hatchery salesmen, it combined the word turkey with chicken, due to the breed's appearance, in the hopes that the ignorant massses would fall for it, wanting such an oddity as a cross between a chicken and a turkey. This of course cannot happen, in a true breeding, sustainable form, and the Naked Neck breed is 100% pure chicken. Still, the hatcheries unfortunately persist in continuing to use the incorrect term. Do not refer to these birds if you see them at a show as turkens, or you are likley to get a rude education by the insulted breeder who has put years of work into his quality stock, and who prefers to call them by their correct breed name, as officially recognized by the American Poultry Association.

Second, it is possible to breed the naked neck trait on to a bird with a Polish crest, but it is not simply a matter of crossing the two in one generation, as many believe. Despite the incomplete dominance of the naked neck trait, there are other things to consider, and you'll have to educate yourself on basic genetics in order to achieve it. I'm not in favor of these cross bred "breeds" simply for the sake of creating something new and crazy, so you'll have to look elsewhere for that information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by