Polish - What will i get

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by amandaadkins, Nov 23, 2016.

1. amandaadkins

amandaadkins New Egg

Jan 4, 2015
    Hi All

I have hatched out a bunch of polish. 3 white crested 1 male and 2 female and 3 gold laced female. 5 silver laced males (i think) 1 black frizzle female 1 silver lace frizzle male and 1 gold lace frizzle male.

Im wanting to set up my own little breeding flock. I prefer the smooth feathered kind but was wondering if i put the white crested male with the gold lace girls what may i end up with? Or should i put a silver lace to them?

Any thoughts on what i might end up with or what you would do would be great.

I will be on the look out to hatch a gold lace male next year i think. The girls are very sweet little things.

Thank you

Amanda

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    @Yorkshire Coop ?

3. mysti30

mysti30 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2016
    I have polish chickens also. Male and female white crested, male and female silver laced, and three female gold laced. If you do breed your white crested with your gold laced please let me know what the bitties look like. I'm looking forward to hatching some myself.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

:frow

If you are not keen on frizzles and only want smooth feathered chicks you would be best not using any eggs from your frizzle females or any eggs that have been fertilised by a frizzle male. All chicks from a frizzle parent have a 50/50 chance of being frizzle. Breeding frizzle to frizzle is also not a good idea as this can cause all sorts of issues with the feathers of resulting chicks. They can either grow no feathers at all or can have very poor, weak feathers that damage easily.

As for your colours if you put your WCB male to the gold lace hens the resulting chicks should be black and if you put a silver lace male to the gold lace female the chicks should be silver lace. Colour genetics are quite complicated but here is a calculator that's great ~ http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator
    Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

Good luck with your hatching.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by