Polish - Winter Hardy?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lynzee63, Oct 21, 2013.

1. lynzee63

lynzee63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland
    Hello,
    I have 6 beautiful polish girls..i just love them , they are the sweetest things. I live in Maryland, winters are not too bad but sometimes we do get a cold one. How do the polish fair in the cold - will I need to put some type of heat source in the coop?

Thanks

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    One of my friends has a Polish. She does fine in temperatures as low as 0 F., with no problems. I think that your birds will be fine without a heat source. Just make sure that their crests don't get wet and freeze.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You might want to post in one of the big Polish threads over in the Breed, Genetics and Showing forum for more answers from people who have a lot of Polish. We do have some pet polish, live in Ohio so probably actually have a little colder weather than you do. We've never had a problem with cold and our Polish. Pretty much all adult chickens can deal with cold fine as long as they have a good draft free shelter. People in Alaska and northern Canada have chickens without giving them additional heating. The only thing I have seen with the Polish is if it rains then freezes or they get their crests wet in the water and the feathers freeze, I generally am sure to keep their crests trimmed away from their face pretty well, especially in the winter.

4. lynzee63

lynzee63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland
    Oh thanks so much. I do try and keep the bangs trimmed... :) I was just worried about the cold. I appreciate the information a great deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by