Polish with brain damage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyBoutChickn, Dec 23, 2016.

1. CrazyBoutChickn

CrazyBoutChickn New Egg

Dec 23, 2016
    We "saved" an 8-week old Polish bantam roo who was getting picked on by our neighbors flock. He came to us 2 months ago with a bloodied head. Head has healed now but he frequently has fits of flopping around, rolling his neck, and squawking pitifully.

After researching, I'm pretty sure he has brain damage. I feel so sorry for him and fear he'll never be well enough to introduce him to my existing flock.

Any suggestions?

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Are you sure it is brain damage and not Mereks?

Cheers!

3. CrazyBoutChickn

CrazyBoutChickn New Egg

Dec 23, 2016
    Pretty sure. I've watched lots of videos on Marek's and other diseases, and it doesn't look the same. No paralysis, not wobbly. Instead he has what I would call seizures -- flops on his side, wings flapping, legs kicking, and then circling his neck and squawking. Lasts 10-15 seconds, then he gets up and is fine.

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Yeah, thats not good......Possibly got his head pecked one to many times........

Poor guy.....

Cheers!

5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Pecking to the head can cause Wry neck.Pretty sure thats what she has.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    A vaulted skull is common in many Polish as it is in Silkies. It's a section of the skull that is a bit open on the top and yes, pecking to the head and around the crest can damage the brain of either of these breeds. It is very possible your bird now has some neurological damage from the pecking. You might keep this bird inside as a house chicken or with another docile bird of it's same breed.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by