1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish with Fairly Severe Head Injury! Course of action?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Yoshii, May 9, 2009.

1. Yoshii

Yoshii Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, okay, trying not to panic, SO. I go out to check on my flock just now, and I notice I'm one short of six, my normal total. I go in and find one of my two Polish hiding in a corner with a bloodied head and missing feathers! I look around the pen -- his feathers are in there -- but I don't know what happened. Failed predator, other chook attacked, I don't know. Patch about the size of a nickel ripped CLEAN off, barbs and all.

After a little chick-chase, I take him in. After a short ordeal where he lept from my arms and hid behind the oven >>, I get him in the bathroom and washed off, apply Neosporin to the injured area, and put him in a separate cage inside with food and water by himself.

Of course. The vaulted skulled breeds always get the head wounds -_-. Not to be too graphic, but the patch is ripped clean off, and there IS still flesh, but, I mean, it's pretty much his brain there.

What do I do from here? Any recommended course of action? He's about six or seven weeks old, and as of right now appears to be acting fairly normal (eating, drinking, pooping normally).

Thanks!

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I'm no expert, but my constant reading on here suggests that a course of antibiotics would be in order. Penicillin if you can get it.

3. Yoshii

Yoshii Chillin' With My Peeps

Any particular amount or such of penicillin? And anyone else have anything to add? I'm so concerned about him...

4. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    try to look on the box i should tell how much to give i really hope that he makes it keep us updated [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Separate the crested breeds from the others if this continues to be a problem (which it very well might> this is common)
    Separate the damaged bird from the others till cmpletely recovered...

6. lovelychicken

lovelychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Ok, I hope you read this, it will help. My conure while I was gone flew onto the ferrets cage and the ferret grabbed him by the head and ripped it clean like yours. Please do this, advised by vets, clean with betadine (chicken safe probably, if conure bird safe). Take a rag, something clean and soak it with betadine and apply very well to wound...or just let it run off head and wipe up as it drips. When done with that, apply neosporin to wound. If its as bad as my birds was, keep faith, mine lived and is healthy as can be now. Everything regrows and comes back normal. Keep inside in dog crate or something till very healed or the others will pick at it and it will never heal. Believe me I thought the bird was dead, it looked horrible but she still made it through.

7. lovelychicken

lovelychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    By the way, with my bird I never gave antibiotics and it healed but guess it couldnt hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by