1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish X Silkies??? Gender, (SIDE PICTURES ADDED)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teresa-78, Nov 10, 2010.

1. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Hiya everyone,

I hatched out 7 Polish eggs 6 weeks ago, and 5 turned out to be Polish x Silkie as they had 5 toes, some had 5 toes on one foot others on both.. 2 turned out to be what I think pure polish, they are 6 weeks old today and I was hoping you may be able to help me with gender and breed, many thanks.

1# [​IMG] [​IMG]

2# [​IMG] [​IMG]

3# what I think may be pure Polish [​IMG] [​IMG]

4# also feel this is pure polish [​IMG] [​IMG]

5# [​IMG] [​IMG]

6# [​IMG] [​IMG]

7# [​IMG] [​IMG]

Many thanks for anyones help and input [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    2, 4, and 5 are cockerels. It's hard to determine if they're pure or not with just head shots. Can you take full body pics? Based solely on the combs, 2, 4, and 5 are not pure polish.

3. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:I did get a few body shots then forgot which body went to whom so I gave up lol, I will as my partnerlater to help me.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If the polish parents had a correct comb, any that do not are likely not pure polish. The one with mottling is not likely to be a first generation cross to a silkie, as mottling is recessive, and would be very uncommon to find in a silkie.

5. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:I am not sure if the parents had a comb or not, but I have seen pictures of some polish with a comb and no wattles, and some pictures with wattles and no come, I only thought silkie because of the 5 toes, but maybe a sultan?? they have 5 toes?? here are some side pictures I managed to get I will add them to the pictures above next to the chick I think it belongs to.. oh this is hard work lol.

6. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    pollish do not have silgale combs they have V combs the one with a silgale comb and the one with a pea/walnut comb are not pure

7. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:I have no clue on types of cones, which number chicks are these?? many thanks

8. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    # 2/6 have a walnut/pea comb
    #3/4/5 have a singale
    #7 may bee right
    polish hould have a small V shaped comb on roos. hens have no visable combs

9. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:7# has 5 toes, so all the polish eggs I had were all mixed, none are pure... thats just my luck, nice bloke for selling me duds.... will be messaging him as I made an exchange for my male runner for pure polish eggs [​IMG]

10. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I don't know what is what, but I gotta tell you they are adorable!!! They look like them big puffy Mums in bloom . I love em!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by