Polish Y comb genetics

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Helen in the Desert, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Helen in the Desert

Helen in the Desert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    I have found genetics discussions on Pea, Rose, Single and Walnut combs, but nothing on Y combs. Anyone know anything? Is it a separate recessive gene? I am working on a project and really would like to know.

Thanks

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

The actual name of the genetic mutation is the Duplex comb or V shaped comb, the gene assigned to it it’s the D^V, D is for duplex and V for the V shaped comb, there is another mutation D^c which is recessive the D^V, the D^c is for the butter cup comb genotype, both of this duplex comb genetics are partially dominant to other genes, so if you cross a Polish with a single comb bird, the results will be like a dual single comb.

For example if you cross a single comb bird with the genetic make up for the comb genes as: p+/p+ r+/r+ d+/d+
    With Polish, which is p+/p+ r+/r+ D^V/D^V
    The cross will be p+/p+, r+/r+ D^V/d+.
    Interestingly enough this cross(large single comb x V shaped comb) often produces birds with "Buttercup" type combs(D^c) but they don’t’ breed true of course(unlike the Buttercup breed).
    Here is an example

3. Helen in the Desert

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    If my F1 is a cross of a strait comb and a V comb, then I get buttercup combs - when I breed those back to a V comb do I get a high percentage of V combs? If I breed F1 to F1 do I get 50/50 V and strait?

I have a project going that I am 4 years into and finally getting most of the phenotype I want, but I want V combs and am getting a combo of V and strait with a few buttercup/double. Now I sort of get why.

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    When you cross F1 x F1: D^V/d+ x D^V/d+
    you will get 25% D^V/D^V(Proper V comb), 25% d+/d+(single comb) and 50% D^V/d+(butter cup comb)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. Helen in the Desert

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    Thanks! Since so far that is all I have come up with, no other comb types I can use a simple square to figure the outcomes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by