Polish Y comb genetics

Helen in the Desert

Songster
11 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Palm Springs
I have found genetics discussions on Pea, Rose, Single and Walnut combs, but nothing on Y combs. Anyone know anything? Is it a separate recessive gene? I am working on a project and really would like to know.

Thanks

I have found genetics discussions on Pea, Rose, Single and Walnut combs, but nothing on Y combs. Anyone know anything? Is it a separate recessive gene? I am working on a project and really would like to know.

Thanks

The actual name of the genetic mutation is the Duplex comb or V shaped comb, the gene assigned to it it’s the D^V, D is for duplex and V for the V shaped comb, there is another mutation D^c which is recessive the D^V, the D^c is for the butter cup comb genotype, both of this duplex comb genetics are partially dominant to other genes, so if you cross a Polish with a single comb bird, the results will be like a dual single comb.

For example if you cross a single comb bird with the genetic make up for the comb genes as: p+/p+ r+/r+ d+/d+
With Polish, which is p+/p+ r+/r+ D^V/D^V
The cross will be p+/p+, r+/r+ D^V/d+.
Interestingly enough this cross(large single comb x V shaped comb) often produces birds with "Buttercup" type combs(D^c) but they don’t’ breed true of course(unlike the Buttercup breed).
Here is an example
so this is what you get when you cross a white leghorn hen with a white crested polish (who had a fine set of 'horns' comb)-its a combination of the single comb, but split. much like I imagine true Houdan (not US ones) combs. anyone know what to call that type?

If my F1 is a cross of a strait comb and a V comb, then I get buttercup combs - when I breed those back to a V comb do I get a high percentage of V combs? If I breed F1 to F1 do I get 50/50 V and strait?

I have a project going that I am 4 years into and finally getting most of the phenotype I want, but I want V combs and am getting a combo of V and strait with a few buttercup/double. Now I sort of get why.

If my F1 is a cross of a strait comb and a V comb, then I get buttercup combs - when I breed those back to a V comb do I get a high percentage of V combs? If I breed F1 to F1 do I get 50/50 V and strait?

I have a project going that I am 4 years into and finally getting most of the phenotype I want, but I want V combs and am getting a combo of V and strait with a few buttercup/double. Now I sort of get why.
When you cross F1 x F1: D^V/d+ x D^V/d+
you will get 25% D^V/D^V(Proper V comb), 25% d+/d+(single comb) and 50% D^V/d+(butter cup comb)

Last edited:
When you cross F1 x F1: D^V/d+ x D^V/d+
you will get 25% D^V/D^V(Proper V comb), 25% d+/d+(single comb) and 50% D^V/d+(butter cup comb)
Is it better to do f1 x f1 in this case than F1 x original v comb? Will f1 (double comb) x original v comb just create a weirder looking double comb, and not a percentage of v comb?

Back
Top Bottom