polish?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ksct, Oct 16, 2009.

1. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    Can anyone tell and show what polishs look like (maybe age progression), temperment, size, egg color, broodiness etc?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flighty, skiddish birds. Small to medium white(I think) eggs an not very broody.

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure. (Loves to show off pictures) [​IMG]

Here are a few mixed clear ones. My Sultan sneaked her way into some photos. She looks like a yellow fuzzy Polish but she has feathered feet, and Polish do not. They're all 4 days old here.

Buff Laced chick.

[​IMG]

Silver Laced and next to her is my Sultan.
    [​IMG]

The same two...and my Sultan.

[​IMG]

Golden Laced. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same bunch a bit older. I forgot the age here, but somewhere from 6-7 weeks I think?

Golden Laced.

[​IMG]

Buff Laced.

[​IMG]

Silver Laced.

[​IMG]

Again, at 9 weeks or so? Gosh, I lost count. I'm going to rap it up here. [​IMG] You got the picture. Others at this age tend to look the same.

Silver Laced.

[​IMG]

My adult White Crested Black last winter. She was approx. a year and a half.

[​IMG]

Temperment: My Polish have always been friendly but others say they are flighty. I think it's how they're brought up and how they are treated in a flock. Other chickens will sometimes play too rough or pick crest feathers out. But I've never had that in my flock. I think they're very personable birds.

Size: Even large fowl Polish are smaller than most other kinds of chickens. When my WCB was growing up, we thought she was a bantam, but we soon learned that they are just small birds.

Egg color: White, but others have said white tinted in certain cases. Eggs are small to medium and Polish are said to be poor layers but we received approx. 3-4 a week.

Broodiness: Polish rarely go broody. IMO, finding a broody Polish is like winning the lottery: You can always say there's a chance but it takes some real luck for this to occur. [​IMG]

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I like the sultans too.

[​IMG]

5. joy

joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Lancashire England
    Love the polish breed, they are so good natured and funny!! [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Nice birds.

7. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    I want to get into polish, where do you get your chicks from?

8. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    Mine are nice, friendly, active, reasonable production. Got them from MPC this spring. Did not lay till 7 months. I have seen them for sale at Chicken shows. They are around. Nice birds.

9. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    do the feathers on their heads block their vision?

10. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I purchased 4 from TSC this past spring, got lucky and ended up with 3 pullets and 1 roo. I shipped my rooster down the road to my IL's house, where he still lives with the rest of my bachelor flock of roos that I've sent down there [​IMG]

My 3 polish girls are 100% free range, they roost in the trees with my other bantams, are exceptionally friendly and not skittish, maybe a little silly though! They are at the top of the pecking order and I've never had a problem with their crests being picked at. My roos do manage to pluck a few during breeding, but not enough to even notice. They are very active, always running around eating and exploring.

AAAANNND....I had one of my polish hens go broody at only 26 weeks old!!!! [​IMG] Granted, she decided to go broody with one of my other bantam hens in the same nestbox, but nonetheless [​IMG] They all 3 lay a cute medium sized white egg, and IMO they are very reliable layers. I get an egg from each about 6 days a week average.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by