polish

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silkydragon, Jan 18, 2010.

1. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    im getting some polish hens later in the month but wont have any roos im wondering if a silky x white crested would look better or a normal chicken like a rock or sexlink would look better the polish off spring will not be for sail just for personal and if somebody request them i would sell them but not gonna try and sell as pure breds as ive seen ppl do or post on here on auctions just wondering if ppl have pics or different crosses im most interested in silky x polish since im gonna have breeding pens for the silkys and will know the parents vs my free range flock

2. silkydragon

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    nobody?

3. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Sorry I can't help you much, but I plan on hatching some of my RIR hens that are fertilized by my Silver Laced Polish Roo. Just to see what they would look like.

4. silkydragon

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    i was watching my flock today now that the silkys are old enough to come out of the coop and a mixed flock of redsexlinks white rooster barred rooster and like a penciled leghorn roo sebright pair and white leghorn hen looked amazing so i may just pen up like 2-3 silkys and the rest and the polish will free range with the mixed flock cuz mixed flocks are pretty and colorful [​IMG]

5. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    Quote:First question is whether or not they would look "better". Only you and your personal taste can answer that. They'll have smooth feathers, maybe dark skin, etc. You will have larger crest in the silkie cross than crossing them to laying hens.

6. southerngamebirds1

southerngamebirds1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    northwest florida
    mine were very attractive birds, (polish roo x silkie hen) but i didnt like their personalities much. if you plan to spend alot of time with them maybe that would be different ? mine were flighty nervous birds

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Silkie X polish will likely have a crest in between the size of the parent birds; muffs & beard if either parent is bearded (fuller if both are); dark skin; walnut or modified rose comb with the spikes at the top; 5 toes. Body type will be more like polish, feathering will be softer than polish, but definitely not silkied. Depending on the quality of the silkie parent you may or may not get all of these attributes in all the offspring. I haven't noticed my silkieXpolish crosses to be any more flighty as a rule. There are some of them that are, just as there are some of my polish and some of my silkies that are flighty. And some of each that will walk up to me and seem to say,"It's MY turn to be held."

Mixed flocks are wonderful if that is what you want. You can get some very interesting and pretty looking birds, but guessing the outcome is less and less predictable the more you cross them.

8. silkydragon

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    thanks for all the info got anypics?

9. Silkie Chicken

Silkie Chicken King Silkie

Feb 22, 2012
    i am wanting to breed a silver laced polish roo with a white silkie hen do you all think the chick they have will have feathered feet and what will it look like.

10. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Is a White Silkie a dominant white?
    If so, then you will have alot of white chicks with black spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by