1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

polishes? *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lothefarmer, Nov 10, 2010.

1. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    so i would like to know the gender of these two here: garuru (L) and sneaker (R)

[​IMG]

this picture was taken a little over a week ago, but not much has changed, really. garuru's hair has gotten a bit taller, and sneaker's has gotten all around bigger, but the shape has stayed basically the same. it looks to me like i have a boy and a girl, but i'm really no expert, so i would like to know your opinions. :)

and if this picture is inconclusive, just ask for more, and i will take some today.

THANKS [​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------

OKAY, here is an update. i took these today, and i will take some more next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. lothefarmer

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    anybody?

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I would guess Garuru is male, and sneaker is female, but I'm no expert.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  4. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    where are they from?
    L looks like a roo
    and R a pullet
    BUT if they are from a hatchery then Id wait longer BC they dont always grow tops the same as breeder polls do.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're really young. . . Too young to judge the crests of.

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Give them a couple of more weeks and watch the wattles and combs and you may see some difference. I wouldn't even want to guess right now.

7. lothefarmer

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    okay, everyone. thank you for the responses. :) i will wait a few more weeks for a forsure answer, but i will put an update up for anyone who is interested :)

8. OlyChickenGuy

OlyChickenGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Olympia, Washington
    If I have anything to say about this, Garuru is DEFINITELY a boy, and Sneaker is DEFINITELY a girl. I've never seen a polish in person, but I've seen LOTS of photos of cockerels and pullets, and the key is that Garuru's top hat is made of pointy feathers, and Sneaker's top hat is made of soft, round feathers - also, Sneaker's top hat is much more "contained".

They are both absolutely adoreable, too. :3

9. lothefarmer

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    Quote:that's what i thought, but i know polishes can be tricky, so i thought i should probably make sure i'm not missing anything, since they're a part of my first batch of polishes.

thank you! :)
    they're both favorites of mine <3

10. OlyChickenGuy

OlyChickenGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Olympia, Washington
    May I ask their temperaments? I've been considering pursuing Polishes, but I have very, very strict requirements and high expectations for my flock - namely that they're trainable, and friendly. I plan on someday using my flock for therapy, and I've worked with several "difficult" breeds without issue, but I've been spoiled rotten by the wonderful temperaments of all my Ameraucanas.

Are they fairly personable? Have you tried training them? Will they tolerate just sitting and being pet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by