1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Politics in schools?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chels23, Oct 31, 2008.

1. chels23

chels23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
    I don't want to start a debate. I just want to know if rules for teacher regarding what they can and can't discuss. What I mean is can a teacher talk bad about politicians. I’m just upset about something that my sisters teacher told her class and it might be something that could get her fired.

2. chels23

chels23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
    Nevermind. I saw previous posts where politics were brought up and I don't want to go there. It gets out of hand quickly. I'll just talk to her principal. Thanks

3. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree that politics can get out of hand fast - especially now.

As a former school employee who has lived through a few elections, kids constantly nag the adults about how they feel about what's going on. I don't remember teachers ever completely hiding how they felt or who they support. Sometimes they play devil's advocate and say things to get the kids thinking and discussing. They might not even feel the way the kids assume they do. Fake elections are held - things can get quite heated.

If you must talk to someone, talk to the teacher. If you don't feel good about that conversation, then go to the principal.

Good luck!

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    My kids talk about it at school and to all their friends,they are knowledgeable enough to hold a good debate.My daughters friends acully told her "that if Obama became president he would make all black people hate all the whites".
    So my kids are well informed of the facts (they watch CNN with us) and thought long and hard who they would vote for if they could.
    And yes they even debate with the teachers about it.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    My DD came home with the inormation that if Obama wins kids wouldnt have to go to school for a few days and some other assorted things. They also voted in class and Obama won 19/3. My DD voted for McCain, because she thinks that he knows about the military . She doesnt get it from us , i cant vote and my DH wont vote for either .

6. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:

7. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Quote:
    Now theres a powder keg waitin' to be lit! lol

8. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:
    Now theres a powder keg waitin' to be lit! lol

I cant vote because i am not american .My husband sees good and bad in both ,he is not registered with either political party.

9. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Quote:Now theres a powder keg waitin' to be lit! lol

I cant vote because i am not american .My husband sees good and bad in both ,he is not registered with either political party.

I didnt mean anything personal. I know there are a lot of people that cant vote d/t their current circumstances. Was just curious (as a retired career military person myself) why, since your hubby is in the Army, he refuses to vote. I am confused with that.

10. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Quote:That's funny! My kid's "mock poll" is today. My DD tells me her favorite political poster is one that says Obama must win because he has a blue light saber. During the last mock election, Kerry won 75% of the vote.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by