Polk plant?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GBov, Aug 8, 2010.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    I have a huge polk plant and all its berries are turning purple. Can I feed them to coturnix quail? I know wild birds scoff them down but dont know weather or not quail can eat them safely.

Anyone know?

2. chuck12

chuck12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a few of those in the very back of my yard.. I would not feed them to my quail... not sure if it is safe.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I agree, I wouldn't risk it. It's probably just fine, wild birds eat them all the time (and spread the seeds everywhere in my yard, what a pain). But, unless you knew for sure, just not worth the risk IMO.

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    If you are talking about poke salat" my mothers people ate/eat the plant mostly the leaves but they are eaten before they turn red depending on how much red is in the leaves sometimes they are just boiled twice the red is supposed to be poison. I have always been told the berries are poisonous. For years I have sold the dried root and I don't know what it is used for. LOL

5. ECreech81

ECreech81 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Kentucky
    Yeah We eat it here In KY and It's supposed to be poison if you dont cook it right .

6. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    I know the young leaves are eaten in many places. And reading up on the plants it said that the berries are eaten by birds safely because the poisonous seeds are just passed right through the bird.

Was jut wondered if anyone fed them to their birds?

I did throw a few to my quail today but they didnt seem that intrested in them. Unlike when I toss them some lettus or sheild bugs lol.

7. aprophet

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    not yet I have too much fun with mine just with apples they are all a buncha little suckups when I go out with an apple or two they are scared of grapes and they won't eat peaches I gave a couple of them blackberries when they were here

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I personally [​IMG] Love eating polk [​IMG], but I cook it right. Raw polk leaves will make a goat go blind, so I wouldn't feed it to the Quail.

9. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    All parts of the mature plant are supposed to be poisonous... that includes the berries. Don't try it unless you have someone who knows what they're doing well prepare the plant parts right for you.

10. aprophet

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:so what would the dried root be used for most years it brings about .75 / lb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by