*poll* Calling all detectives- Case of the disappearing ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Twoandhelp, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Maybe... Sure! That could totally happen!

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, sweetie, you're delusional.

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Twoandhelp

Twoandhelp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Ok, I've always let my ducks free roam around my property and I bring them in at night. When I'm going to be gone for a while I put them in their pen. We've never had any issues. Last week, while my parents were caring for my ducks, a duck and a drake disappeared without a trace- no feathers, no blood, nothing. Yesterday, another duck disappeared while I was home- I was checking on them pretty often, the windows were even open! They don't wander far, I never heard a thing!

The ones disappearing are the appleyards, so I don't think a hawk is getting them (they are huge!). Another of my ducks is broody (I let her have a nest in the duck house) and I notice a male sits with her quite often. She also gets really quiet and low when she sees me, and I thought that maybe, the others could be hiding...

IS IT POSSIBLE that they grew weary of me taking their eggs and fled to the treeline or weeds to have their own babies and will magically reappear in 4 weeks? Before they disappeard, egg production dropped a bit, so maybe they were laying somewhere else?

Are you shaking your head? I know I'm grasping. The boys are so much slower than the girls, I just can't believe I've lost two girls and only one boy.

Can anyone give me hope?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Likely fox or coyote. Where do you live?

3. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    Sorry, duh! Scene of the crime!

Texas. Woody/Pasture.

We do have both. And bobcats and panthers. And dogs. Peoples dogs are the worst. I just cant believe I didn't hear anything. Or see feathers.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That is why I'm thinking fox. They're foxy. A bobcat or panther can be stealthy but they're more likely at night.

Dogs and coyotes aren't quite as stealthy.

5. jofanx

jofanx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2015
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was a raccoon. Earlier this summer we lost three ducks. The first two straight up vanished (no blood or feathers from an enclosed pen (no top) and I thought they had run away or a neighbor or owl took them. The last one was killed but must have gotten stuck because we ran outside--my husband waited outside for the culprit to come back to the scene of a crime (with a pellet gun) and it was a **** raccoon. It ended up freeing the carcass and dragged it off into the woods, all intact.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  6. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    Sounds like I need to do some waiting of my own....

I'm taking it pretty personally. I saw a bobcat at my neighbors they other day, and she was out at 11a! But she was very small.My appleyards are like ponies. Whatever is doing this needs to go...Man, I was hoping little ducklings were going to appear around Thanksgiving.

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Raccoons are a prevalent predator but usually don't carry off the quarry. They eat part of it where killed and then move on.

8. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    Maybe a fox then. I haven't seen one in a while, but like ChickenCanoe said, they are foxy. I've been vigilantly watching the windows and cameras and haven't seen anything sinister yet, but I can be patient....

9. jofanx

jofanx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2015
    That's what I thought until we watched the thing carry off the carcass. It got it over a 4 foot fence and disappeared into the woods.

10. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    What a turd! I just saw a great horned owl on one of our bat houses. There's danger everywhere...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by