POLL Do People Really Eat Silkie Chickens?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PeepsInc, Jul 28, 2009.

1. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    I hatched a few silkies out this year from some really nice stock. I couldn't imagine my self ever eating one. Well unless in dyer need of a meal..... I was just wondering do people really eat Silkies?

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Aren't these the ever so popular 'black chickens' in the asian markets I see?! I assume they are popular to eat in asian culture still.

No, I'm too much of a pansy to eat one. But if we were starving... you better believe it!!!!

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Eaten quite a few of them, I had a job that send me to various parts of asia for 2-3 week streches. Compaired to some of the other delicatsies (starfish and scorpian anyone?) it's pretty tame, like a black cornish game hen.

4. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I don't think I could eat one of my own, maybe if someone else cleaned it though. They seem too small to be worth the effort, and they are just so sweet.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    There's got to be some place for all the surplus silkie roos to go. But I think the dark-colored meat would be a bit off-putting, unless you used it in a chili or a pasta dish with tomato sauce. I don't keep silkies, so I don't have to face this decision.

I have a lot of mixed-breed bantams here. The hens make great broodies, but I put standard-sized eggs under them. I don't want to keep making more bantams because I don't want to have to deal with surplus bantam roos. I just butchered one last weekend along with 4 standard sized roos. The bantam weighed 1.25 lbs after cleaning, not a lot but not too bad.

6. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We eat our extra roos, and get this. They taste just like chicken and are perfect single serving size.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I just wanna say... my neighbors roosters are mean and evil! I would shoot and eat one without a second thought!!!! Oh they are mean!!! They have that look in their eyes like "EAT ME, EAT ME"!!!!

Silkies have that "PET ME, PET ME!!!!" look. Like a kitten or something. I'm such a sucker!

8. TwittyBird

TwittyBird Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    western nc
    Quote:couldnt of said it better [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  9. chickenred

chickenred Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2008
    Planet earth
    mmmmm, yummy Silkie

10. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Silkie + Chicken= MEAL. They are a highly praised delicacy in the Asian markets. This is one breed I dont know if I can eat my little klingon looking babies! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by