POLL: Do U eat Fertile Eggs? How Fertile? ...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amiachicknorwat, Jun 24, 2016.

1. amiachicknorwat

amiachicknorwat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2015
    Am I squeamish or what? Thus far, I'm a bit afraid to crack them open, once gestation has taken them far along. I've eaten red dot, just starting out as fertile eggs. But once they're advanced and the actual chick is forming I know it's accepted in other cultures. Tho ours hasn't come to terms -- at least mine hasn't ;-). Like we eat eggs and we eat chickens, so what has us cringe and scowl at the stages between? Simply, do you eat fertile eggs, and how?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Red dots in eggs are from a ruptured blood vessel, not a chick forming. I don't think anyone should eat them once they've been incubated, but in some places in this world people don't have the access to food like most first world people do and have to eat what they can. All my eggs are fertilized, but they aren't anything until someone sits on them for a while.

3. amiachicknorwat

amiachicknorwat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2015
    Ruptured blood vessel? Of what, the laying hen? Wouldn't that appear in the hen and not in the egg? Isn't the gestating chick -- not even yet formed -- "too young" to be experiencing such health problems? Sorry, it seems I've misunderstood your answer. Tho now I doubt the red dot marks the beginning of gestation.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sometimes an excitable hen will have a blood vessel rupture and leak in her Oviduct and it becomes part of the yolk, they occasionally will also have bits of oviduct lining sometimes added too, and these will show up as brownish gunk. Hens will sometimes add all kinds of gross stuff to an egg from their own reproductive tract.

When a hen takes a hard landing or gets bumped or bashed for whatever reason, these are the times these things will occur. So when I disturb one of my polish hens who's trying to lay, and she flies off the nest and past my head into a wall, more than likely the next egg will have a blood spot in it from the ruckus.

The fertilized part is the bullseye on the yolk. I believe I read that the egg doesn't actually get fertilized by the sperm until the first day of incubation.

5. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    HI - as Old Hen Likes Dogs said, the fertilization happens and development begins when the hen begins to sit on the eggs. She actually has to do this for several days before any development of significance takes place. So, if you collect your fertile eggs every day, or every other day at least, you should not have any problems.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

The two eggs on the left you can see the bullseye on them, that means they are fertilized.

7. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Georgia
    My wife is from Vietnam. She likes duck eggs with..... you guessed it, basically a whole baby duck in there. They crack it open, drink whatever they can and then spoon the rest out. Thought I was going to hurl the first time I saw that. LOL

8. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I think I would!!

9. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Georgia
    And OldHen is right, it's because they didn't have. They're all successful and have good paying jobs now, but they still eat "old world" stuff. I just trapped a racoon in my back yard and my brother-in-law is going to eat it. Another brother-in-law will stop and get road kill if it's not torn up and it's fresh. Different strokes for different folks. :)

10. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I've eaten rattle snake so I don't think I'd mind eating raccoon. I've also that raccoon tastes good, along with porcupine. But the incubated duck egg is something I couldn't do..

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by