Poll for fermented feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KikisGirls, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Never tried it

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Tried it and didn't like it.

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Please vote one way or the other...or other.
    Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Fermenting has several benefits like probiotics, enhanced b vitamins and making protein more bioavailable.
    But IMHO the two most important benefits are less waste and by binding up the ingredients added as powders (vitamins/minerals/synthetic amino acids) those valuable nutrients aren't lost as fines in the bottom of the feeder, thereby making the feed more nutritious.

barred2rock likes this.
  3. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Go Habs Go Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    I stopped feeding it because it was a pain in the behind to do in winter. Almost not worth just doing it in summer. :p

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I do it. I don't do it as much in the winter when temps are too low, and I am considering not making any for them during the weekends in summer since then they free range all day. The really enjoy it and seem disappointed to only get pellets, though.

5. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    i have only tried it once, and need to try it again

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Been fermenting for 4+ years now. Will not go back. The visible benefits are noticeable.

2 people like this.
  7. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    @lazy gardener

I looked at your FF page and you've probably mentioned it on a thread before, but what are you fermenting? Looking at the pictures, you ferment mash, right?

8. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I can't take credit for that FF FAQ. It was written by Tikkijane, I have referred so many people to the use of FF, and found her article to be the most informative. She gave me permission to include the link to her excellent article. I'm not sure what she was fermenting. You can ferment any feed that you typically use. I simply ferment what ever I am feeding my flock: layer, starter, multi flock. Sometimes I toss whole grains or a bit of scratch in, but not usually b/c they bill through it for the crunchy nuggets.

9. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

I will never go back either. The six chix have a four gallon bucket of regular dry feed in case I get lazy (which never happens, right?) or I don't feed them enough, and they barely touch the dry stuff...I might fill it once every two to three months. I also ferment alfalfa for them. My friends think they are spoiled. I think they are the picture of health.[​IMG]

I keep it in a jar on my kitchen counter, so winter not too much of a variable. Last winter (I almost hate to admit this but good for a laugh) I started opening the bathroom window (the ground underneath had no snow) and flinging it out the window. So much for not being lazy. Go ahead and tease me about that all you want. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  10. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Flinging your fermented alfalfa cubes? I assume your birds free range in the day. Brilliant. (note my screen name!) How did you get so lucky to have so little snow? We had snow cover ALL WINTER LONG. I may have to try the alfalfa next winter instead of growing wheat sprouts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by