Poll for those who brood/brooded indoors

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrv19, Mar 21, 2016.

1. mrv19

mrv19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    How old were they when you removed the lamp and went with household temp?

I know the standard formula, but i feel like my chicks have tolerated cooler temps than that. They are 13 days old and happy/healthy at 74 degrees under the lamp. If i continue to go down in temp next week, any further up the lamp goes and we will be at room temp. Just seems soon though and curious how early your indoor brooders went without a lamp. Regardless, i will be moving them outdoors in a week or 2 with heat as needed (nights in the 40s here)

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I don't use a heat lamp anymore. I use a heating pad cave.
    When I did use heat lamps, my chicks were off heat and feathered in by about 4 weeks old. The trick is to let the chicks tell you what they need, and not go by a 'standard formula.' If the chicks huddle, lower the lamp a bit. If they are spread out and panting, raise the lamp. Then raise that lamp every couple of days, instead of once a week. And only heat one spot, not the whole brooder.

3. mrv19

Feb 27, 2016
    I feel like they will be tolerant of household temp by under 3 weeks then...is that ok? As i said they are only 13 days old and already at under 75 degrees. They sleep (at times) directly under the lamp but mnay times are all spread out. And when awake they are scampering everywhere

4. mrv19

Feb 27, 2016
    I have a heating pad, as i intially intended to try the cave tech just went with the lamp and its worked fine. Perhaps i could remove the lamp soon and simply plave the pad (covered) inside the brooder for a place to warm up when needed? Would it have to be a cave at this point, where they havent used one up till now and where they are just shy of household temps?

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Sounds like they are doing just fine. They'll be ready to go outside in no time. Once feathered in, they can handle just about anything an adult can handle. 40* nights are actually pretty warm for most fully feathered birds. They won't need any extra heat at all.

6. mrv19

Feb 27, 2016
    I will have to see how feathered they are by then right now they still have down in chests/neck/head. Wings are feathered and tails are growing fast

7. ladyj02

ladyj02 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Topeka, Kansas
    I stopped using a heat lamp when they were a little over a week old. They are now a little over 3 weeks old. Brooder is down in the basement and I would say it's high 60's / low 70's down there.

8. mrv19

Feb 27, 2016
    Did they have any other form of heat?

9. ladyj02

ladyj02 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Topeka, Kansas

Nope! I checked on them like crazy but I never found them huddling or anything, and they acted perfectly fine. I do leave my overhead light on during the daytime hours for them though or else it would be pitch black without it. I don't think it gives off much heat to make a difference at all. I turn the light off at night and it takes them about 20 minutes to settle down and go to sleep.

10. mrv19

Feb 27, 2016
    Thata impressive, hardy chicks! I will keep lowering the temp every couple and see what thet have to say about it;)...it would be great to wean them early and it appears they are happy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by