Poll: How is your roo with his ladies? What is his crow like?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Howards, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Gentle with the ladies &crows loudly and often

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Gentle with the ladies & crows loudly and not very often

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Gentle with the ladies & crows softly and often

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Gentle with the ladies & crows softly and not very often

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Rough with the ladies & crows loudly and often

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Rough with the ladies & crows loudly and not very often

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Rough with the ladies & crows softly and often

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Rough with the ladies & crows softly and not very often

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

We have another Roo in our flock this year, an unintentional addition to be sure. This time around we have decided to keep him. Watching him interact with his ladies got me to thinking about our previous boy, a BLR Wyandotte named Bonnie, and comparing their behaviors.

Bonnie was very gentle with the ladies and loved to dance around to get them to welcome his advances and to gain admiration....at least I think he wanted admiration because he sure loved to dance. From crow 1 he was loud and did it at all times of the day and super early morning (2 or 3 in the morning...sheesh sunrise is a long ways off-- go to sleep!). He made lots of sweet cooing sounds to get the girls attention when he spotted a treat and always let them have first go at the food. He was very watchful and kept everyone informed if something came around, standing between the threat and the flock.

Jazz, a silver laced Cochin, is almost the exact opposite. He is kind of rough with them. He doesn't do more than a quick shuffle and is reaching over grabbing a mouth full of feathers where ever he can in an attempt to snatch them under him. He makes a few cooing sounds but doesn't seem as worried if they get the food or treats first, he is right there in the mix gobbling it up. He doesn't crow very loudly or even all that often. A fact for which I am extremely grateful!! He actually went a full week between his crows. Just like Bonnie was, Jazz is watchful and stands between the flock and the threats.

Now we only had Bonnie for a few months after he began to crow and Jazz is only just started so I realize behaviors can change over time as they grow and hormones begin to flow. But the comparison of ours got me to thinking.... I wonder if the crow and frequency has anything to do with behavior with the girls.

I realize I could be way off and there could be no link what so ever but I figured with all the chicken friends here on BYC it could be figured out. So please take the poll, share a story, share a pic...I would love to hear from ya [​IMG]

[​IMG]Jazz [​IMG]Bonnie

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by