POLL & question: Welsummer- which hatcheries have the best, DARKEST laying Welsummers & Marans

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by T-Amy, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Welsummers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cuckoo Marans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Blue marans

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Barnevelder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. T-Amy

T-Amy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    Are Welsummer's the darkest brown layers? I live in upstate/western NY & have a hard time finding hatcheries that sell both so I don't have to place several orders.
    Would also love some blue copper marans.

We have cuckoo marans that lay nice brown eggs but would love those almost-black eggs to improve the variety of our egg baskets...
    THANKS friends!!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sandhill Preservation has both.
    I've never had Marans but I bought some Welsummers from them and they laid very dark eggs. Almost as dark as my Penedesencas.
    Generally speaking, Marans are the darkest followed by Penedesencas/Empordanesas then Welsummers, Barnevelders and some Langshans.

That said, I've seen Marans eggs that were no darker than my Jersey Giants.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I have a nice Cuckoo Maran hen when I picked up some Barred Rock pullets a few years ago. She lays well and the eggs are fairly dark. If I remember correctly she is from Belt Hatchery in Fresno, CA. You are a bit far for that shipping though. There has to be somebody on the East coast.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    As a rule hatchery marans don't lay really dark eggs and fcbm lay the darkest egg. Of course YMMV.

5. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    I've gotten Welsummers from Meyer, and I know they sell Marans, so if you wanted hatchery..that would be a good one to try. My Wellies lay a rich terracotta red egg, I'm quite pleased with them.

1 person likes this.
  6. T-Amy

T-Amy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    My marans lay dark brown, but not the REALLY dark like the black coppers do. BTW, what's "YMMV?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by