1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

POLL TO SEE WHICH ROOSTERS ARE CULLED OR KEPT! DEADLINE 11PM EASTERN

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by big bouncer, Apr 8, 2017.

1. big bouncer

big bouncer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2016
    We can keep 2 roosters. Comment the two you think should be kept. *Bouncer and Jester cannot be kept together. DEADLINE 4/8/17 11pm eastern US timezone.

Option 1: Bouncer, a Jersey giant rooster who is very beautiful and makes fun noises. He is ALWAYS watching for danger. I've caught him laying down during the day 1 time in 6 months!!!! He is the biggest of our roosters great to defend hawks. He has united the flock by integrating the younglings into the main herd. He has taken over from Jester as head rooster. He chases off jester now.

Option 2: Jester, a white leghorn who is less of a burden to carry during mating, has a terribly loud crow, but will let you pick him up. He can attack you if he feels threatened but 90% of the time he actually wants held. He has not allowed younglings to come near him at all. He is chased by bouncer and is found not watching for danger most of the time. He is seen begging at the house door for food, taking numerous dirt baths, and sadly now hiding away with a few hens from Bouncer.

Option 3: Big Guy, a cuckoo means about 4 months old who makes very fun noises that are great. He is big for his age, only comes to you if you hold food, and is seen chasing youngling hens. He is too young to defend from any danger at all. Emphasis on chasing young hens and to the extent that one certain youngling (fleck, who just layed her first egg!) To learn to half fly to avoid him.

Option 4: Rex, a 4 month old cuckoo Marian's who is smaller than Big Guy. He is seen half-heartedly chasing hens, but out of the 3 young roosters he is the kindest to hens. Him and Big Guy are typically found side by side.

Option 5: Bruster/Lil Roo/Roo, a buff Orpington who is very kind to ppl and wants to be held a lot. He is the first to come to you if he sees u. He is very big for his age and could probably protect the coop from some dangers in the near future. His reason for not being immune to termination is a big reason, he has now become aggressive towards hens. He has been seen ripping feathers out of the broody hen when she was eating her dinner, just ripping feathers out of everyone, being chased by roosters who don't like seeing him ripping feathers out, and a few failed mating attempts.

Thanks, choose 2 to live

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. big bouncer

Nov 17, 2016
    UPDATE: IT IS A POSSIBILITY TO CHOOSE ONLY ONE ROOSTER

3. adstowe

adstowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Colorado
    Bouncer sounds like a keeper. If you actually need 2 Roos, I guess I'd try and keep Rex. Were it me, I'd just keep Bouncer and loose the rest, but I don't know how many hens you have or your reasons for wanting Roos in the first place.

1 person likes this.
  4. big bouncer

Nov 17, 2016
    We have about 19 1yr old hens and 15 4month old hens. We have the roosters for being able to hatch eggs and to defend from hawks and also to lead the hens.

5. adstowe

adstowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Colorado
    You have more than enough hens, so I get your reason for wanting 2. I'd go with 1 & 4.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2! Bouncer sounds good, and Rex has possibilities. Keep both and see how it goes. With that many hens and pullets, it makes sense to have a backup boy. I would also stop hand feeding and 'making friends' with the cockerels; often it turns into a problem, encouraging human aggression. Mary

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I might try keeping three for a bit. Reason, because culling a couple of the roosters will change the flock dynamics. Sometimes roosters that were not aggressive before, become aggressive with a change in the leadership.

I would keep Buster, and 3 & 4.... and wait a bit, then cull again if needed.

Mrs K

1 person likes this.
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Depends on what you want in your next generation.

The Leghorn rooster will boost egg production in future pullet offspring, but his cockerels will be kind of pitiful for the table.

The Marans are really too young to properly evaluate. They're only 4 months old, basically young teenagers yet. If you want to keep one, I'd keep them both and see how they are in say 2 months, then chose one to go.

Sounds like you like the Jersey and plan to keep him. He won't add high productivity to future pullets. His cockerels will be big and meaty...eventually. Giants are slow to mature, so they'll take longer and eat more to make weight.

The Orp needs to go, of course. Aggression is never tolerated.

Basically, I'm with Mrs K. Keep the Giant and the two Marans, for now. Select one Marans to go in a few months.

9. big bouncer

Nov 17, 2016
    Yeah, in compliance with your predictions, yesterday the first egg was layed by our younger flock by the one and only baby from jester. It was a leghorn x light Brahma. And a side note, bouncer babies are VERY soft and tend to have iridescent feathers. Also, it seems that feathered legs is a rare trait as none of the 5 or so chicks from brahmas had noticeably feathered legs D:

10. big bouncer

Nov 17, 2016
    We have decided to take out jester and big guy. Bruster and Rex will probably also be taken out. Bouncer is staying and he is doing a good job managing the hens. Hate to tell you guys, but it seems Rex is just as bad as big guy. This morning after the 2 were filled, I look and see Rex and then I see he has cornered fleck. Later I was driving home from tennis and saw Fleck on top of the nest boxes and Rex staring at her. Rex is very bad. I personally have not seen Bruster doing bad, but I trust my mom in her Intel. Looks like it might be Bouncer and Bruster if he calms it down with ladies. Him and Bouncer seem to get along because they've never fought. Rex is bad and has become an outcast.

Waffle has a big black spot that looks like a blackhead or old bigger on her foot (middle toe) Apparently it is bumblefoot? Should I remove it as it seems very straight forward.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by