Poll: What Treat do your Chickens go Crazy over?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JP101010, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Meal worms

22 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Crickets

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. watermelon

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. Blueberries

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Strawberries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Scratch mix

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Corn

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  8. Cucumbers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Oatmeal

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  10. Grapefruit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Banana

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  12. Lettuce or other Greens

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  13. All of the Above-My Chickens like them all equally

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes Flocks have a Favorite ,
    Sometimes they love the frenzy of getting treats rather than what kind of food the treat is.

Treating your Chickens to a variety of fruits , veggies , greens and bugs has its benefits. It makes the eggs overall quality and nutritional value skyrocket. It also is a sound days pay for the chicken who is working so hard to make you breakfast every morning. Not to mention the family fun that comes from the funny antics that ensue after one chicken finds a worm and the rest of the flock starts the mad dash to "steal it"..

Please feel free to Share your Thoughts or Stories..

2. JP101010

Dont forget to hit "Vote Now" after checking off your selection , I missed it the first time around so my Vote didnt get recorded

3. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    Too bad you didn't list "meat-any kind" as a possible response. I think it would have won hands down!

4. Stuck in the Coop

Stuck in the Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    North Central, MO
    I too was looking for the meat option. That is without a doubt my birds favorite food.

5. JP101010

hmmm , I never thought to feed them meat other than the meat on a juicy cockaroach or mealworm.... what kind of meat do you feed your chickens? Cow or pig?

6. jwg423

jwg423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    Spaghetti noodles seem to be the fav around here...
    Meal worms come in a close second...

7. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Mine got NY strip trimmings for snack this morning... meat IS their favorite! They got ham trimmings on sunday, and after Christmas they got the turkey leftovers ~~~ stuffing and all [​IMG]

8. Stuck in the Coop

Stuck in the Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    North Central, MO
    Whatever meat scraps I can sneak to them without the dogs noticing [​IMG] They even get scraps when we butcher deer. If possible I throw them meat at least once a week, that is the best time to witness the dinosaur ancestry in action LOL they attack it.

9. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    My chickens love oatmeal, cooked or raw, doesn't matter. They come running home from the compost pile when they hear the shaking of the oatmeal bag. Tomatoes, melons of any kind, and cooked rice are close seconds. Grasshoppers in the summer can't be beat. My girls love their treats.[​IMG]

10. Soli

Soli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    None of the above. My free rangers, including a peacock, just love cat food. They are insanely, irrevocably dedicated to cat food. I feed it every morning as a treat, and I get the equivalent of a flock of crack addicts literally knocking on the front door waiting for me to come out with their "fix".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by