Poll! What would YOU do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by familypendragon, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Keep all of them upright in a carton for hatch.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Lay down the ones with normal looking air cells, hatch the rest in a carton.

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Lay down the ones with wonky air cells, hatch the good ones in a carton.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Lay all the eggs down with the lowest dip in the air cell faced up.

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. familypendragon

familypendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

I started with 14 Heritage Barred Plymouth Rock eggs shipped from Tennessee to Texas and now have 7 good eggs on day 13. My previous batch of shipped eggs was a certifiable train wreck with 9 dying partially or fully hatched in horrible ways. So I am gun shy and trying to be most cautious. I am dry hatching which gives a humidity of about 30% on average in my forced air bator. I have been hand turning in cartons. I will be going into early lockdown on day 16 - transferring all good eggs after candling them into a separate hatcher. It is an LG still air. I plan to keep the vents open with the temp at 99-100. I will add no water until day 18, when I will bump it up to 65% humidity. But I have seen so many conflicting opinions on whether I should lay them down or hatch them upright I wanted to take a poll :) Feel free please to add any other advise you think might help me. Thank you!

2. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    If the air cell is "fixed" (not moving around) I lay them down for hatch. In my mind it gives them a better chance if they are mal-positioned. You are better able to see a pip that is not in the air cell if they are laying down.

3. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Just out of curiosity, have you been weighing the eggs?

4. familypendragon

No I have not tried that yet, but its usually very obvious that the air cells are growing well. Why do you ask? :D

5. familypendragon

Thanks, I will check them when I candle to see if the air cells move or not!

6. jenbell83

jenbell83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    san antonio,tx
    i had 20 eggs shipped to me. 4 were cracked so im pretty sure they were tossed around. i threw one out cause it didnt grow. so i have 15 growing on day 21 now..ducks... and after about day 12 i realized one was cracked but its also still alive. and ive been turning them by hand and will keep them upright in the egg carton until its time to stop turning. then i will lay them on their side. its my first big batch of eggs so im surprised they are still alive..lol. guess ill see by how many hatch.

7. familypendragon

Lots of luck! Do you know about the melted wax trick for cracks? I haven't tried it yet but its worked for others.

8. jenbell83

jenbell83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    san antonio,tx
    I read about it. so i took a q tip and rubbedit on. lighty so you wouldnt even see it. and not sure if it helped..lol but it didnt hurt. its still alive. but a couple of the eggs i have are showing some black spots i cant find any info on.??? not sure what it is

9. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota

1 person likes this.
  10. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    I also want to mention that the reason I voted for the 4th one is because if you hatch in a carton, you won't be able to see the "wrong end pippers" very well. Shipped eggs often seem to be prone to mal-positions including "wrong end pippers".

I have only hatched in a carton once before, and though the hatch went ok, I believe that they do better on their sides with the dip facing upwards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by