Polysporin caked in feathers really bad!!

The_Flock

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hi Peeps. I have a 4 yr old ameraucana hen who has a 3rd degree burn on her keel. I've been treating that with mild epsom salt soak and polysporin. I remove the gauze and vetwrap and soak her wound daily. I put a bunchbof polysporin and burn treatment on many pieces of gauze and then wrap her up in a homemade vetwrap "harness". Anyway...her wound is looking very good from when I started treating her.
But now my big problem is the polysporin caked in her feathers. I can't really bathe her because the new skin is so tender, and rips easily. So if I try to work the salve out then it pulls on the new skin.
I've given her two soaks, one with epsom salt, and one with blue dawn dishsoap about 2 weeks apart. Neither has really removed any thing. And it keeps her damp, even when I blow dry her.
It's -30°C right now, so I can only really bathe her in the mid morning, and she shouldn't stay damp for long.
Can I put the dishsoap right on the area around her keel? The injury is still scabbed and healing. But when I take the wrap off she eats so much polysporin. So I'm not sure that's great either.
I'm at a loss, and need some help.
Here are a couple of pics showing the wound and the feathers.
Thank you for any help you can offer. I'm really stuck.

Attachments

• 20220214_112102.jpg
    20220214_112102.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220214_112134.jpg
    20220214_112134.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220214_112237.jpg
    20220214_112237.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 7
How would she get a burn? I know they can get sores, & blisters in that area.

Polysporin is another brand of Triple Antibiotic ointment, it won't harm her if she ingests it.

How would she get a burn? I know they can get sores, & blisters in that area.

Polysporin is another brand of Triple Antibiotic ointment, it won't harm her if she ingests it.
She got it from sitting on a heater I had on for water. I had to make my own water heater as my heated water bottles both froze and broke early this winter. Her and another hen did the same thing. Only the other hen's feet were bad, and this hen's keel was bad.
I've rectified that issue, but have to deal with the healing and treatment of these girls.

She got it from sitting on a heater I had on for water. I had to make my own water heater as my heated water bottles both froze and broke early this winter. Her and another hen did the same thing. Only the other hen's feet were bad, and this hen's keel was bad.
I've rectified that issue, but have to deal with the healing and treatment of these girls.
Have any way of blocking the heater so the chickens can't get on it? Not only it will cause burns, but chicken feathers are also flammable.

With any flesh wound, wrapping isn't necessary.
I wasn't wrapping it in the beginning and it dried right out, and she began pecking it pretty badly. My vet and I felt it best to wrap it.
But...tbh...the polysporin was still caking into the feathers when it was open.
I'm not wrapping it anymore because it's looking much better.
I'm wondering if I'll need to bathe her a few times to work the salve out. I'm not sure. It's very oily, and is hard to tell when I'm blow drying it if the feathers are wet, or caked in polysporin.

I wasn't wrapping it in the beginning and it dried right out, and she began pecking it pretty badly. My vet and I felt it best to wrap it.
But...tbh...the polysporin was still caking into the feathers when it was open.
I'm not wrapping it anymore because it's looking much better.
I'm wondering if I'll need to bathe her a few times to work the salve out. I'm not sure. It's very oily, and is hard to tell when I'm blow drying it if the feathers are wet, or caked in polysporin.
Well, it's supposed to dry out over time, & ointment reapplied whenever needed. Chickens heal faster if the wound isn't covered by wraps.

The oiliness is from the petroleum Jelly that the neosporin contains. Oil removes oil, that's a trick, but it usually comes out on it's own.

The wound looks good.
I wouldn't worry about the ointment caked in the feathers. Once she's healed up and you no longer need to apply bandages, covering. She will take a dust bath and the ointment will wear off.
I would continue to care for her like you've been doing. No bathing.

Back
Top Bottom