Polytonine A in meat chicks' water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BYCforlife, Mar 20, 2017.

1. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

I heard that I am supposed to put polytonine A in chicks' water, because sometimes they forget to eat and they need vitamins in their water in case of that. Is this true?

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Some people do put chick vitamins in their water for the first few days.

I am not sure what polytonine is.

3. BYCforlife

I am not very experienced, but I think polytonine is a vitamin mix.
    Again, I just heard this, I haven't looked in to it much. Thanks!

4. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
  5. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    How old are your chicks?
    Do they seem like they are in good health or are you thinking you need to add vitamins because they are falling ill?

6. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Too much of a good thing can be just as bad as not enough of a good thing...you know?
    I did give my day old chicks, chick vitamins for the first 2 days...only.

7. BYCforlife

I'm sorry, I may have not made this clear enough. I do that alot. I don't have them yet, and this is my first time so I am reading as much as I can about them, and I was wondering about vitamins in water. Thanks for the link!

8. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Oh ok...
    In that case you may really want to look into fermenting their feed.
    Many many good benefits...including vitamins!

https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/
    1) Superior nutrition
    Fermenting creates new vitamins; specifically B vitamins, and new nutrients. Some of those nutrients are amino acids. The soaking and fermenting also breaks down the anti-nutrients and toxins in the grains that prevent the digestion of available nutrients.
    http://www.fao.org/docrep/x2184e/x2184e06.htm

Quote:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/05/traditional-preparation-methods-improve.html

In addition to the reduction in toxins and anti-nutrients afforded by soaking and cooking, grinding and fermentation goes much further. Grinding greatly increases the surface area of the grains and breaks up their cellular structure, releasing enzymes which are important for the transformation to come. Under the right conditions, which are easy to achieve, lactic acid bacteria rapidly acidify the batter.” {https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them/2220 }

9. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    What breeds are you planning on getting and are you "mail ordering" them?

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It's not a bad idea to give them some vitamins to start. If you are getting meat chicks, they will definitely NOT FORGET TO EAT!... That being said, hatching and shipping is very hard on their systems. I'm a huge fan of Poultry Nutri Drench. It helps those little birds get off to a good start. I'm also a huge fan of fermented feed. Good to do your homework before you get your chicks. How many are you getting? If you are getting less than 20, you might consider heating pad brooding. There is an article linked to my signature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by