Pomeranian, Buff, or Pilgrim-which would you choose & why?

Which breed do you like best?

• Saddleback Pomeranian

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Buff Goose/Tufted Buff

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pilgrim

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

DB_Tex

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2011
Upshur County, Texas
I've been having a blast with my African and Chinese geese, and it looks like I've got 2 couples pairing off for next year (my most gentle and docile ganders), so hopefully I won't be in the market for any more outside stock for those breeds for quite some time
fl.gif

I would however like to get a pair of a completely different breed in the int rests of diversity-- it seems I'm getting a word of mouth following as a breeder for ducks and geese, and I'm not even breeding yet!

I'm debating between a pair of Pomeranian, buffs or pilgrims atm to pick up next year and I don't really have any preference edging out one breed over another-- they ALL have their good points, but I think I only will have one extra pen to fill.

I am looking to sell goslings locally only-- for pets and small farm use with the option of a decent bird for table. I like the Pomeranian for the colorful markings. Buffs also have a nice look but I'm interested to know more about the claim that they are easier to pluck due to looser rooted feathers, pilgrims' auto sexing by color is VERY appealing. I haven't had any trouble selling excess ganders or geese but I have had people with a preference one way or the other and vent sexing a semi-mature goose is pretty darn difficult.

Any breed I do choose needs to be pretty good tempered overall. My children help with all the animals and I want to be able to recommend my birds for families and youth. (We've had quite a time with our Chinese & African ganders and I'm breeding for temperament foremost as my takeaway lesson)

Ease of breeding and fertility is important. Noise level and guard capabilities are worth considering.

Which of the 3 breeds do you want/have chosen and why do you like them?

I used to raise Poms. They are absolutely gorgeous and fairly calm. However, if your looking for the good quality Pomeranians and not just saddle back colored birds you'd really need to purchase from a breeder. However, for the situation your describing I'd vote pilgrims. They are fairly calm and you could easily rehome guaranteed sexes at a young age which is a plus for many people.

I know very little about pomeranians. I did a lot of research on buffs and pilgrims before the purchase of my buffs. I went back and forth as to which ones I wanted to get. I ordered the buffs from Metzers. I chose buffs for their temperament color and slightly larger table size. They also had better availability. The others have made a valid point about the color sexing being incredibly helpful. From what I read on Metzers site, the buffs had slightly better fertility and slightly higher egg production. Good luck making your choice. Hope that helps.

I only have experience with Pomeranians and find them to be fairly calm and pleasant birds (Although they can be very nosy, bossy, and ornery too). My goose laid 54 eggs this past breeding season and my pair's fertility was around 80%.

Although the Pomeranian and Buff attain a slightly larger body size, are supposed to have slightly better fertility, and have a slight advantage in weight for those seeking a table bird, I think I am going to vote with Kevin: Get the Pilgrims.

Given your criteria: Selling locally for pets or farm use I think the Pilgrim holds a couple of advantages. First, is obviously knowing what is a goose and what is a gander without having to learn to vent sex will be incredibly helpful in selling goslings.

Next is the size issue: Buffs and Pomeranians are larger and therefore maybe a bit more intimidating for some people. When people see my Poms they are set back a bit since most have never really seen anything but a Canada goose. They go on about them being such big birds and tend to stay clear of them (I can't wait till my Toulouse are full adult size....lol). For a family with children the slightly smaller stature of the Pilgrim may be appealing.

Also, they are lovely birds and the females are quite pretty. I think people will like that the goose and gander are different colors: You get diverse feathering all in one breed (no need to get both Toulouse and Embden to get gray and white birds).

Lastly, is the availability issue. If you want to add new blood from decent birds or need a replacement bird, the Pilgrim is going to be much easier to find. I see quite a few people selling Buffs, but can tell you that finding decent Poms is like finding a needle in a haystack. I have searched for months and come up with three breeders with good quality birds that will actually ship eggs or goslings: Three....that's it. The grays are only slightly easier to find than the buffs, and both are very difficult.

If I can make enough room at my place after I am done expanding my Pomeranian flock, I am seriously considering buying some good quality Pilgrims. Honestly, I was down to the same three breeds when I initially wanted to buy geese. The only reason I ended up with the Poms was a local breeder was dispersing his flock and I was able to buy an unrelated mated adult pair. It was really luck more than anything else.

Good luck and enjoy whatever breed you decide to get!

I've got Pomeranians and they are calm and dignified. My flock is quiet (relatively speaking).

I had Blue Americans and they were clownish and much more protective. I am going to assume that Buff Americans are the same since they are 2 colors of the same breed

I've seen some really horrid quality Pomeranians from hatcheries, so I don't recommend hatcheries as a source for Pomeranians.

My opinion is that the splashy color of the Poms makes them easy to sell.

I have pilgrims and I absolutely love them. They are by far my favorite breed. I have two children, a 3 year old and 7 month old, and the geese are so gentle around them. Very, very sweet and can be quite comical. I also love that they are auto-sexed. My pilgrims produce pretty dark females and light, embden-colored males. Really like that feature lol. I highly recommend this breed
smile.png

Sounds like a pilgrim pair for me then! Everyone I've talked to off board (friends, old customers, etc.) agree that auto sexing is too huge a bonus to ignore, and love the color contrast that just one pair offers.

I vote for the Pilgrims. This year is my first experience with geese. I got two pairs from Metzer. They are comical and friendly,(except to the Banty that thinks she is still in charge). They all stand at the edge of the yard when i leave for work in the morning, and rush to the gate to greet me when I get home other than that they are pretty quiet. Wish you were closer, I just posted my extra pair for sale on Craigslist.

I've got Pomeranians and they are calm and dignified. My flock is quiet (relatively speaking).

I had Blue Americans and they were clownish and much more protective. I am going to assume that Buff Americans are the same since they are 2 colors of the same breed

I've seen some really horrid quality Pomeranians from hatcheries, so I don't recommend hatcheries as a source for Pomeranians.

My opinion is that the splashy color of the Poms makes them easy to sell.
Hello do you still have your Poms and do you sell hatching eggs .

Back
Top Bottom